Author Topic: Correction to the 1939 register.  (Read 2062 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Correction to the 1939 register.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
My dad's record is open, my sister was told we had to prove he was still alive.

I'd suggest it's up to them to supply the evidence they used to open the record.

My 89 year old aunts record was suddenly opened. I emailed FindMyPast and asked them to provide me with the evidence to prove that the person I'd been with only a couple of days previously was now dead. The record was blacked out again within a couple of days  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information  ;D

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Just to add an update. I have just had another look at the 1939 register and finally most of the details have been corrected. I contacted them in June 2017 with all the correct details, so it has been a little longer than the promised 90 days. I last checked two or three weeks ago and the information was still wrong on the transcription. I did not receive any notification of the changes.
All members of my family are now transcribed correctly, except for one trivial thing, my fathers birthdate is recorded as the 4th December when it should be the 14th, but it is not clear on the original.
I am still on the transcription, I think I can prove I am alive  ;D ;D, but really I haven't bothered to get them to change this entry.
My fathers name, William Bownass, is showing correctly as the first person in the household, but the Household Name in the title of the transcription is still showing as the Burnett household which is incorrect.
I suppose the answer is to keep persevering and maybe it will be correct in the end.

Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Artypie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I noticed my mother and her sister, both still alive, had their 1939 register records open, so I tried to get them closed. I was dismayed to find I was expected to provide Findmypast with a passport or driving licence or other official document with her signature, despite her being elderly and unable to travel or drive. I did not see why I had to provide anything to get them to fulfill their obligation under UK law, so I pointed out to them that they were breaching the data protection act by displaying a vulnerable adult's private data and putting her at risk, and they closed both records within 24 hours.

I've had less luck with getting them to marry my great grannie to the correct bloke, it's been submitted three times now. They are now saying it is the record office's fault, not theirs. If this was the case, how come the marriage is correct at Ancestry and Freereg?
Platts - Morrell - Smith - Humphrey - Hancock - Heritage - Wilkins - Satchell/Satchel - Brooks/Brookes - James - Brown - Wardle - Hall - Croson/Croston - Davis/Davies - Fox - Humber - Sibson - Cooke/Cook -Chapman - Musson - Mountney - Ward - Cullen - Mumford/Mumfoot - Hoverd - Scriven/Scrivins - Ward - Harvey - Groombridge - Bullock - Holt - Harris - Cooper - May - Downs