Author Topic: Mark Summers born 1811, Hamilton, help with who his parents were  (Read 1471 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Summers born 1811, Hamilton, help with who his parents were
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 05:13 BST (UK) »
My apologies for leading you a merry dance.  I thought I had said I had information 'going forward'.  However  I did not have his death certificate at that time which I now have.  I do not use ancestry or other sites like that.  All of these peple were born and lived in Scotland I use Scotland's people. Therefore I have exact copies of what was written in the register at the time.  So Mark's death registration gives his mother's name and also his date of birth. I am aware that these were often done in quarters and were rounded down and are not 100% accurate but in my search I have allowed for that.   I do look at the original census to see where they lived, what they worked at and who else was living with them. 

I see that the kirk sessions are going to be  available soonish on Scotland's people which will be great.

I will check out those various ideas you have given me, re the census for Summers etc.

Many thanks for your help.

What I have is below, some of which doesn't make sense e.g. Isabella Summers who died of scarlet fever.

1785 / 1791 BARRY
Janet Barry mother of Mark Summers

1811 SUMMERS
Mark Summers husband of Isabella Edmiston
B:1811 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland (illegitimate son of Janet Barry who was a domestic servant)
M:1828 May 18th Isabella Edmiston, Hamilton, Scotland (register to hand) (18th, 25th May & 1st June)? What does this actually mean?
D:1874 aged 63 died of bronchitis which he had had for 6 months, died at 46 Quarry Road, his son John was present, John lived at 7 Portland Place (register to hand)
Census
1841 Mark labourer 25, Isabella 25, Jean 10 tambourer; Janet 4; John 2, Church St, Hamilton (census to hand)
1851 Mark handloom weaver 46, Isabella 40 a tambourer, Jane 21 hand loom weaver, John 11 hand loom weaver (census to hand) 
1861 Mark cotton weaver, Isabella both aged 50, Mark 7, Isabella 3 (census to hand)
1871 Mark silk weaver, Isabella both 60, Mark 18 Pit bankman, Isabella 14 Silk weaver, 46 Quarry Road (census to hand)

Isabella/Isobel Edmonstone wife of Mark Summers and mother of John Summers (parents Charles & Jane Watson / Edmonstone), limestone quarry foreman
B:1811 Sept 24th Barony, Scotland
M:1828 May 18th Hamilton, Scotland, Mark Summers (register to hand - Edmiston)
D:1888 Oct 11th aged 76, Village of Motherwell, Parish of Dalziel, Lanarkshire, Scotland, John McArthur son-in-law was present and signed, heart disease for 6 months, senile ?, husband dead, gas worker & labourer, (register to hand)
Children 7
1830 Jane Summers, Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1831 Jean Summers, Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1832 May 17th John Summers b June 7th Hamilton, Lanarkshire (register to hand)
1834 Isabella (silk weaver at 17) Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1837 Janet Summers, Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1853 Mark (pit bankman at 18) Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1857 Isabella (silk weaver at 14) Hamilton, Lanarkshire
Isabella Summers died of scarlet fever in 20 Oct 1856 aged 11 (register to hand) 7 Hope street, Hamilton,  John Summers made his mark (born in 1845?)
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
I thought I had said I had information 'going forward'.
You did, but I could not know from that what information you have. In particular, as the census tells me, he could have been born some time around 1811 rather than in 1811.

I do not use ancestry or other sites like that.
Good. They can be useful in giving you a line of enquiry, but without originals they cannot be trusted. I do use https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for the 1841 and 1851 census, with a mental note always to check the original.

I am aware that these were often done in quarters
In Scotland they are not indexed by quarters, and ages are not rounded down except adults' ages in the 1841 census. That doesn't, of course, mean that ages in records are 100% accurate!  They are only as accurate as the person reporting them.

(18th, 25th May & 1st June)? What does this actually mean?
When you decided to get married, you went to the minister or session clerk and told him/them. Your banns then had to be proclaimed three times from the pulpit in the parish kirk. These are the dates when Mark and Isabella's banns were called. Once the banns had been called three times, and if no-one had objected, you could go ahead with the wedding.

Isabella Summers died of scarlet fever in 20 Oct 1856 aged 11 (register to hand) 7 Hope street, Hamilton,  John Summers made his mark (born in 1845?)
Curious that John Summers' relationship to this Isabella is not stated. Isabella, aged 5, and Charles, aged 2, are listed in the 1851 census as daughter and son of Mark and Isabella, but they are on the next page of the enumeration book.

1834 Isabella (silk weaver at 17) Hamilton, Lanarkshire
Where did you find her?
The only 17-year-old Is* S*mmers I can see in the 1851 census anywhere in Scotland is a lace worker, living with her widowed mother Janet Summers, 44, eight siblings and a cousin at 1 Lamb Street, Hamilton. There is a matching family in Lamb Street in 1841 with a 7-year-old Isabella and parents George and Janet.  So I think this is the likely reason why that death in 1856 does not make sense - the 17-year-old was not a daughter of Mark and Isabella.

Hope this helps.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks this is all incredibly helpful.  It does indeed look like I have got the 17 year old mixed up somehow. A bit of a trap for young players that enumeration continue on the second page, I will need to check some others I have that are at the end of the page.  I have used freecen before.  The banns would have been called at the church service presumably,  and then would they have possibly married at a church service too?  Did it have to follow on the next Sunday?  I expect I will be able  to find some of this out when the kirk information comes on line.

Curious that John Summers' relationship to this Isabella is not stated. Isabella, aged 5, and Charles, aged 2, are listed in the 1851 census as daughter and son of Mark and Isabella, but they are on the next page of the enumeration book.

The death certificate does give both her parents names  and her mother's maiden name and it says 'John Summers x his mark brother. 
Nga mihi nui
Bronwen Summers, Ch.Ch. NZ

1811 SUMMERS
Mark Summers husband of Isabella Edmiston
B:1811 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland (illegitimate son of Janet Barry who was a domestic servant)
M:1828 May 18th Isabella Edmiston, Hamilton, Scotland - Banns read on 18th, 25th May & 1st June (Banns register to hand)
D:1874 aged 63 died of bronchitis which he had had for 6 months, died at 46 Quarry Road, his son John was present, John lived at 7 Portland Place (register to hand)
Census
1841 Mark labourer 25, Isabella 25, Jean 10 tambourer; Janet 4; John 2, Church St, Hamilton (census to hand)
1851 Mark handloom weaver 46, Isabella 40 a tambourer, Jane 21 hand loom weaver, John 11 hand loom weaver, Isabella 5, Charles 2 (census to hand) 
1861 Mark cotton weaver, Isabella both aged 50, Mark 7, Isabella 3 (census to hand)
1871 Mark silk weaver, Isabella both 60, Mark 18 Pit bankman, Isabella 14 Silk weaver.  46 Quarry Road (census to hand)

Isabella/Isobel Edmonstone wife of Mark Summers and mother of John Summers (parents Charles & Jane Watson / Edmonstone), limestone quarry foreman
B:1811 Sept 24th Barony, Scotland
M:1828 May 18th Hamilton, Scotland, Mark Summers (register to hand - Edmiston)
D:1888 Oct 11th aged 76, Village of Motherwell, Parish of Dalziel, Lanarkshire, Scotland, John McArthur son-in-law was present and signed, heart disease for 6 months, senile ?, husband dead, gas worker & labourer, (register to hand)
Children 8
1830 Jane Summers, Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1831 Jean Summers, Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1832 May 17th John Summers b June 7th Hamilton, Lanarkshire (register to hand)
1837 Janet Summers, Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1845 Isabella Summers died of scarlet fever in 20 Oct 1856 aged 11 at 7 Hope street, Hamilton, Parish Church Yard, Hamilton, John Summers her brother made his mark (register to hand)
1848 Charles Summers
1853 Mark (pit bankman at 18) Hamilton, Lanarkshire
1857 Isabella (silk weaver at 14) Hamilton, Lanarkshire
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
The banns would have been called at the church service presumably
Yes.

and then would they have possibly married at a church service too?
Almost certainly not in the church and definitely not at a normal service, though the minister would have performed the ceremony. Most weddings took place in the bride's parents' home, or, if she had none or their home was too far away, in the manse or in her employers' house. Church weddings were rare until around the start of the 20th century.

Did it have to follow on the next Sunday?
No. I have a hazy idea that getting married on a Sunday wasn't actually allowed but I would have to look into that. But usually it was fairly soon afterwards - days rather than weeks later.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Great thanks for all your help.  Some of this makes it easier and clearer for me  to understand for other parts of the family tree I am working on.

Best wishes
Bronwen Summers