Author Topic: South Australia BDM index?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia BDM index?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 04:39 BST (UK) »
I still can't see where on that link you posted anything about records being 'patchy'.Cando
I agree SA is reasonably well covered. It does have a unique model to WA, QLD, NSW and VIC, in that a not-for-profit makes the BDM indexes available rather than a government entity. Perhaps the reference came from this statement on that page "Some records are also available from Genealogy SA" [bold added]. That might be a reference to changes of name and adoptions not being available.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 05:22 BST (UK) »
For many years only the Diggers series of CD's produced by MacBeath Genealogy were the way to access South Australian, Tasmanian, Qld and some of NSW (to 1918) bdm's.  Perhaps I've been at this for too long :P.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

My comment was mainly a reference to lack of a comprehensive index, my apologies if I offended anyone.

I think it's great a non-profit is indexing them and I have no issue with paying a small fee to search.

I too spent hours trawling through the Digger Cd's   :-X

Of course the further back yo go the more holes there are in the registers as well regardless of which state you are searching in, I have people as late as 1893 who were in VIC/NSW and simply disappeared; well it certainly seems that way.

Maybe I have been doing this for too long as well  ;)

Steve

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:28 BST (UK) »
Steve I am a bit puzzled....SAGenealogy is free to search however the indexes don't not have all the information that is on the CD's however for a small fee they will transcribe the entry from their records.

SAGenealogy filmed the  District Registers which were no longer required by the Adelaide Registry after the districts were abolished. You can read the history here
https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases/18-uncategorised/62-south-australian-certificates-story.html

As with all paper based bdm records, the returns of which were to be submitted regularly to each colony/state registry, many were lost in transit.  I remember reading about one incident in South Australia where the quarterly returns from the Copper Triangle were destroyed in a coach fire.  I think one historian advised to search both the district registers and  the Adelaide BDM Registry.  I can't locate the info at the moment.

Of course you will have those who didn't register their chn's births; ministers who didn't notify the registry of marriages they had performed and funeral directors who buried people and didn't complete their paperwork along with local registrars who misunderstood the need for death certificates if a person's death was the subject of a magisterial inquest.  All off the top of my head and someone is sure to come along and tell me I'm wrong :P

Who of your ancestors 'disappeared'?  Have you asked for specific help here on the board?

Must stop rambling....comes with age ::)

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk