Author Topic: David Cossar - 1824 convict sent from Edinburgh to NSW, Australia  (Read 1693 times)

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Cossar - 1824 convict sent from Edinburgh to NSW, Australia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 17 06:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the information and reference to the Australian National Library. I have sent off an application. Much appreciated.

sandir03

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
That's good advice from Maddy re the reader's card. 

JM

I think you were the one who introduced me to the joys of the reader's card a few years ago, for which I have been forever grateful!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 17 06:44 BST (UK) »
My cousin introduced me to the card !   He has retired now, but he was originally with NSW State Library and involved in the separation of the Library and the Archives Office which led to NSW State Archives moving to Kingswood NSW.   Then he was seconded to NLA, Canberra and he spent many years there before he retired.   He is not an RChatter, but he is one of several of my retired rellies who regularly read through the RChat threads  :)  Many of my rellies were either state or federal public servants.  At one stage in the 1950s over 27% of the workforce were public servants.  One in four !  umm....  perhaps three in four when I look at my rellies...   He will be delighted to know that the readers card is still being promoted. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 October 17 07:02 BST (UK) »

One of the advantages as a convict of having a trade to be assigned to the Government Printing Office and probably housed in barracks otherwise, if unskilled David Cossar could have been assigned to a master in some lonely spot laboring or put to work laboring on Government works or roads.

Gerry

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 03:05 BST (UK) »
My cousin introduced me to the card !   He has retired now, but he was originally with NSW State Library and involved in the separation of the Library and the Archives Office which led to NSW State Archives moving to Kingswood NSW.   Then he was seconded to NLA, Canberra and he spent many years there before he retired.   He is not an RChatter, but he is one of several of my retired rellies who regularly read through the RChat threads  :)  Many of my rellies were either state or federal public servants.  At one stage in the 1950s over 27% of the workforce were public servants.  One in four !  umm....  perhaps three in four when I look at my rellies...   He will be delighted to know that the readers card is still being promoted. 

JM

JM, I think that you and your rellies are such a valuable resource for us all here at rootschat. The wealth of knowledge and compassion you bring to the site are invaluable (so many instances, but I'm thinking particularly of the Adoption thread recently). Btw, I was a public servant too - worked for the NSW Public Works Dept for 17 years.  ;D

Apologies sandir03 for hijacking your thread.  :)