Author Topic: Abbotts of Great Addington  (Read 1340 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abbotts of Great Addington
« on: Monday 02 October 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with any of the following?

I have been trying to access parish records for Great Addington prior to 1700 with no results? Does anyone know if these records are available?

I have a Thomas Abbott (woollen weaver) buried at Great Addington on 11 April 1735 aged 66 years old. Thomas I believe married an Elizabeth Beeby at Great Addington on 31 March 1703 (she was buried 4 April 1737) and had two children:

Elizabeth Abbott baptised 2 April 1704 and Thomas Abbott baptised 5 February 1709

A John Abbott (who I think may have been Thomas brother?) married a Susannah Castledine on 17 June 1698 at Kettering and had the following issue all baptised at Great Addington:

Thomas 14 April 1702, William 14 December 1703, William 22 April 1705, Susannah 4 May 1707, Ann 13 November 1709 and Christopher 8 April 1711.

I think Susannah Abbott (nee Castledine) married as her second husband a William Earnest on 4 October 1713 at Great Addington and had four more children all baptised there:

Mary 9 October 1714, Susannah 30 December 1716, John 13 July 1718 and Daniel 11 February 1719.

Susannah Earnest (wife to William) was buried 26 October 1724 at Great Addington, and the only burial record I can find for a John Abbott is one buried  on 6 November 1723?

If anyone can help with possible baptisms for Thomas or John Abbott in the 1670's at Great Addington I would be very grateful!

The only other information I have is Susannah Castledine was baptised at Stanwick Northamptonshire on 5 May 1672, daughter of Christopher and Elizabeth Castledine.

Any help with any of the above very much appreciated! :)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: Abbotts of Great Addington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Northamptonshire Birth and Baptism Index 1650-1699 CD compiled by Alan and Karen Clarke, there are no Abbot(t)s recorded during that time period for Great Addington. There are over 20 recorded for Little Addington. Only a mile or so apart - a possibility?

The same time frame has no Abbot(t) marriages recorded in Great Addington; but nine male Abbot(t)s and 9 female Abbot(t)s in Little Addington.
... and in terms of sheer scale of numbers Little Addington appears to have been by far the busier of the two parishes.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Abbotts of Great Addington
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
The National Index of Parish Registers Vol 9 Pt 2 by Cliff Webb for SOG indicates that the registers for Gt Addington began 1692-4, whilst those for Lt Addington began 1588-1602, which explains Alan's findings.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017