Author Topic: Bethnal Green Workhouse Records  (Read 5052 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bethnal Green Workhouse Records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
If she died in a workhouse the informant when her death was registered could have been an employee of the workhouse.  They'd be more likely to get her name and age wrong.  Relatives are less likely to get name and age wrong, but it can still happen.

Offline Haydon58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thankyou every body, I will take a chance and order a death certificate, do you know if there is somewhere cheaper than Ancestry, sorry I am new to this.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry to put a damper on things, but as you are probably new to family history, it's worth remembering that many of the trees on Ancestry are not accurate and some are totally wrong.  I've just found one where two of my g.uncles have their wives and children mixed up and all put on one tree and it has been copied over a dozen times.  So all those people are copying a totally made up tree.  The only way to be sure of your research is to do it yourself and back up your findings by getting birth, marriage and death certificates, although now there are many more records on line, you may be lucky and find some details on line.  You could try FreeReg, or Familysearch.org which often has records transcribed.  Even Ancestry has many transcribed records for many areas, including parishes in London.

Alternatively, there's always Rootschatters to help you.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
The other thing is even if you do get the certificate and the informant wasn't a relative you will be no further forward in confirming if she was your Jane or not  :( but it will give cause of death.

I did look for babies born around that time in case she had one but no luck. 

If you do get it please come back and let us know what it says  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Haydon58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone you have been most helpful.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 September 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
On another forum, I read that if a person was poor, but not necessarily destitute, they would generally go to the workhouse infirmary because it was free. This would explain why, on the death registrations both of my gg grandparents (who were definitely poor), their home addresses were other than the workhouse where they died.

I am still wondering where those who died there might be interred. I have just found out (family document) that my gg-grandmother, a needlewoman, who died (heart disease) at the Bethnal Green workhouse in December 1889, lived at 23 George Street, and was buried at Chingford Mount Cemetary. She was a widow with one son (my great-grandfather).

Being unfamiliar with East London, I have wondered why she had been buried there.
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 September 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
I think it was usual for bodies to be taken back to their home parish. 

Churchyards had become full so large cemeteries were opened outside of London where there more space. So people were often buried quite some distance from home.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 September 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
That was quick! Thank you.

Her address at the time was 23, George Street - consistent with their address in the 1881 Hackney census. Is that in Bethnal Green? I thought Chingford Mount Cemetery is in Essex. As per the notice, the undertaker's address was Haggerston.

I really don't know much about all these areas, how close they are to one another, or what was considered Middlesex or London...  :-\

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)