Author Topic: Widow's maiden name or previous married name on German marriage certificate?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello all. I have a couple who married in a Lutheran church in Germany, 1625. The wife was a widow, this was her second husband. I understand from my American genealogy, in like New England, a widow would still be called by her dead husband's surname until she remarried and took her new husband's name. For example I have an Elizabeth Noyes who was a widow of John Freeman, but when she married Josiah Haynes (as confirmed by the fact her father Peter Noyes mentions them both in his will), she is still called Elizabeth Freeman on the marriage register before becoming Elizabeth Haynes.

I wondered if this was the case in Germany? Or was a German widow still called by her maiden name on the marriage register to a new husband? Thanks.

I know in the early 19th century I have marriage records that specifically say "original name" for the bride, I wonder how long that extends and if it includes widows. Or if it would include both names?

Offline giselap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Widow's maiden name or previous married name on German marriage certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 October 17 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hello all. I have a couple who married in a Lutheran church in Germany, 1625. The wife was a widow, this was her second husband.

I wondered if this was the case in Germany? Or was a German widow still called by her maiden name on the marriage register to a new husband? Thanks.

As always in life this isn't a real yes/no question.
Sorry to say it well depends on various details, e.g. are we really talking about the year 1625? Where in Germany? Craftsmen, farmers, aristocrats?

Actually "normal" women usually were mentioned in relation to fathers, husbands, brothers, families with their christian name only in thus early church records.
In other words they simply didn't have maiden names like we know these nowadays but were rather referred to as daughter, sister, wife or widow of someone.

Maybe you should be just a bit more specific about your problem with the above marriage of 1625.
If you don't know the surname of the widow's father yet, I'm afraid you'll have to refer to her first marriage, where she should be mentioned as daughter of so and so for sure.

All certainties uncertain now ???
Rgds,
Giselap