Author Topic: Looking for burials for Sarah Frances Reeves & her husband James Dansey Reeves  (Read 3041 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for burials for Sarah Frances Reeves & her husband James Dansey Reeves
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
The mother of ELizabeth CHALF (nee JONES) died in 1880

Dec 1880   

CHALF  Elizabeth
Aged  37
At  Poplar  1c/ 462 

It is not relevant to your query, but briefly, it appears that her widowed husband William Samuel CHALF, may have taken up residency in USA in later life.
He was a ship's steward and can be seen travelling at least once to Australia ;D

The burial of Elizabeth, his wife is listed on Tower Hamlets Cemetery Register.
Other family members occupy the private grave also.

The writing is very difficult, but I will try to list their names. May be quite incorrect.
James George JONES
James W. FOWLER
Elizabeth DENNIS
Elizabeth JONES
? A STUTT

ADDING
I do not think any of the interred here are the missing Elizabeth REEVES.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for burials for Sarah Frances Reeves & her husband James Dansey Reeves
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Sue.

It all becomes relevant.  For example its possible James George was named after James George JONES.

Much appreciated Sue.

Westy

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
Just revisited this thread to find it's moved back into my area. From some Electoral Rolls for 57 Arpley Rd:

1939-51: Ethel Emily & William Albert REEVES
1952-55: Ethel Emily REEVES and F D & N V D*
1956-57: F D & N V D and R P C & S M C*

* just giving initials as we're moving into possible living people territory. If these suggest relatives, I'll PM the full names.

The above confirm Ethel's death in 1955 and suggest William died between November 1950 and November 1951 (qualifying dates for 1951 & 1952 ERs). I can't see mention of his dob above, so hard to identify him on FreeBMD. The most likely burial place is Beckenham Crematorium & Cemetery, but I don't seem to have come across a Reeves grave, not that I've recorded all of them!

Other Jottings:

a) It's Thesiger Road. No 29 was a general shop, maybe with a flat above. Almost all the houses/shops were flattened in WW2 bombing.

b) Arthur Road was renamed Churchfields Road in 1907. No 9 suffered the same fate.

c) Arpley Road fell victim to post-war town planners and no longer exists. It had an interesting and somewhat colourful history.

d) I don't see any names from the above at St John's Cottages around 1955, and can't suggest why Ethel died there.

If the above looks promising, I'll see what else I can find.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

Thanks heaps.  A PM on its way.

Westy