Author Topic: Help with ancestor in Army Service Corps  (Read 1378 times)

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with ancestor in Army Service Corps
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
I've just found a service record for an ancestor who enlisted dec 1914 in the army service corps. (Presumably because he was a motor driver). It says he embarked for France 6 Aug 1916 (British expeditionary force). before this on the record i can decipher a note saying (I think) 34 section HAMT. earlier it also says Guildford ASCMT
Can anyone give me any clues about using this info to find out a little more? Basically I'd just like to find out where in France he was sent to and maybe which battles his unit helped with.
My skills when it comes to military records are very poor!
Thanks very much

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ancestor in Army Service Corps
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, could H.A.M.T stand for "Heavy Artillery Motor Transport"?
Just a thought.

And A.S.C.M.T may well mean "Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport"

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Most service records should show the service history as well.  If this is not in the one you have access to then searching under his service # and his name will give you this.  Ancestry.co.uk can give you this result but also here.
https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
And A.S.C.M.T may well mean "Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport"

some further info. ASCMT
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kvb/

& Army Service Corps
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kvc/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
You could give us his name and anything else military you have.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys for your help so far.

MaxD - Henry Edward Ansell, when he joined service corps 28/12/14 regimental number is 031678
Says he had previous service with Royal Sussex Reg 1999-1902 (I think) - 1901 census backs this up as he is at Chichester Barracks with Royal Sussex Regiment
Born 20 Jan 1879, west Firle, Sussex
Looks like he was promoted to sergeant ver time and seems to have joined up again in 1921
I can't glean much else from the service records pages as I can understand so few of the abbreviations!  ::)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Quick first scan.  His earlier service was in the Royal Sussex Volunteers (ie part time not regular army).  You'll note his number is prefixed by M2 denoting Mechanical Transport (ie as opposed to Horse Transport) in the Army Service Corps  (Frank and ladyhawk's link).

HAMT does indeed stand for Heavy Artillery Mechanical Transport.  It was an umbrella title covering a number of small ASC MT sections that were attached to the heavy artillery to help them move their guns about.  In his case he was attached in France to 133 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery from August 1916.

His record is a bit frustrating in that his time after August 1916 is not documented entirely.  He is back in UK in July 1918 and one cannot be sure where he was during the two year gap. He was due for demob in 1919 but waived his right in order to stay on longer.  He was discharged in 1920.  The 1921 service was a reserve (D Res) commitment that many men volunteered for, see:
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/defence-force-1921/

Need to do a bit more digging.  More later.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
A wee bit more.  The record of his movement from France in July 1918 is signed by the Officer Commanding 31 SBAC (Siege Battery Ammunition Column).  This would suggest that he stayed within that element of the ASC whose task was the supply of ammunition to the Siege Batteries (and others).

In terms of where he was and when, the lack of information on his movements between Aug 16 and Jul 18 and the fact that there were a number of  organisations and re-organisations of ammunition supply and what one researcher has called "the to-ings and fro-ings" of the heavy artillery makes it merging on the impossible to follow his war.   There is a war diary that starts in April 1917 but I am hoping to obtain a copy of a privately published pamphlet specifically on 133 Battery which we could take as illustration at least of the beginning of his war in France.  More on this later I hope.

Meanwhile, these articles from "Commercial Motor" may be of interest (read in order 121-125).
http://archive.commercialmotor.com/search?term=Siege%20Batteries
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Max D - even with gaps, this info is fantastic for us! It makes it much easier to visualise what he might have been experiencing, and his role. Thanks!