Author Topic: Sheerins from Balloughry Townload Derry Londonderry Ireland  (Read 866 times)

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheerins from Balloughry Townload Derry Londonderry Ireland
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am a  Sheerin from Derry City and I have been researching my family history the past several weeks. My great grandfather was William Sheerin born in Derry (17 Stanleys Walk) in 1900 to parents John Sheerin and Mary Brown.

John Sheerin my great great grandfather was born circa 1862 in Balloughry Derry. In the 1901 and 1911 census he wrote that he was from Balloughry. However I cannot find his birth certificate. He married Mary Brown in 1892. I have found both of their death certificates , john died in 1931 in Elmwood Street , Derry at aged 68 and Mary died in the same house in 1942 at age 68.

I am looking to find Johns father who was also called John Sheerin.On their marriage certificate (1892) Johns father John stated that he was from Balloughry but cannot find no more information on him. However I have found his fathers brothers birth certificate William Sheerin born in 1870 to John AND ANOTHER Mary in Balloughry. I have found out that this specific Mary (no maiden name) died in 1914 at aged 62 and waked by her Grand daughter Mary Ellen Sheerin (Johns Daughter) (Williams older sister)

I am trying to find out more information on my oldest ancestors so far , John Sheerin would've been born at least around the Famine? As his son John was born in the early 1860s. I have found similar people but they are from burt , Donegal Ireland and I believe these are completely different sheerins to my family from balloughry.

Any information will be much greatly appreciated and if you have any questions that you need to help I will do my best to assist you.

Thankyou in advance.

John

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Sheerins from Balloughry Townload Derry Londonderry Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
The townland [spelling!] is Ballylougry on the OS map, on the west bank of the Foyle opposite New Buildings.  I have to say that G, rather than the expected GH, looks suspect.  But then the English mangled names wherever they went in the world.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so a 1862 birth won't have one.
William born 1870
Is this him? William Sheran father John, Ballougry, mother Mary not sure of her surname Ferris possibly.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03360/2232051.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:40 BST (UK) »
1911 Census John is RC and claims to be 39
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__4_/Elmwood_Street/603137/
And 1901 claims to be 32
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__4_Urban__West_Ward/Stanley_s_Walk/1537906/
But no birth cert to match either of those ages.

Looking at his marriage to Mary Brown his father appears to have a (D) after his name so he is dead by 1892.
The marriage was in St. Columba which covers Ballougry so his baptism may be there.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0373