Author Topic: Searching for Missing Children  (Read 617 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Missing Children
« on: Friday 13 October 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi can SKS help?

G,G Grandparents said on the 1911 that they had 8 children, 4 had passed and 4 still alive.  Their details were Alexander and Mary Jane/Marie Jeanette Steele (nee Harrison).  He was born in 1852 in Liverpool and she was born in 1853 in Bristol.  They married in 1875 in Warrington.  Their known children are:

Gower McConnochie Steele born 1876 in Warrington
Wilfred De Lisle Steele born 1877 in Warrington
Harold Francis Steele born 1879 in Liverpool and
Annie Elizabeth Steele born 1880 Huyton Quarry

They were living in Huyton Quarry in the 1881 census and then Bradford from 1891 census onwards.  I have found a Attree Grimsditch Harrison Steele born 1894 died 1895 in Bradford.  As they had a liking for slightly different names and he also has Harrison as a name, I wondered if he could be their child.  I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction to find his baptism record to confirm or rule him out?  They lived in Undercliffe Bradford in 1891 and from 1901 onwards in Shipley.  I have no-one in the family that I can ask.

Thank you for reading

CJ

Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Online warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Missing Children
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 October 17 01:43 BST (UK) »
From here,https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl..search for birth
Then enter detail here,https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp
Altree is shown with mother's maiden name as Harrison.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
Two more possibles, with mother's maiden name of Harrison:

1882 - Charles Alexander (born and died) in Halifax
1888 - Maria Arline (born and died) in Halifax

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:28 BST (UK) »
A couple of baptisms:

Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge:
Alexander, son of Alexander (Clerk) and Marie Jane Steele of Upper Mountain Street, Sowerby Bridge.  Born 2 August 1882 and baptised 11 August 1882 - private.

St Augustine, Bradford:
Altree Grimsditch Harrison, son of Alkexander (Book keeper) and Marie of 109 Otley Road, Bradford.  Born 13 August, baptised 30 September 1894.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 October 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you both.  I had not heard of the government site that gives the Mother's maiden name.  Having used it I think that I might have found all 4 children  ;D

James Harrison Steele, born Prescot District SeptQ 1881, died Halifax district DecQ 1881
Charles Alexander Steele (bapt Alexander) born 2nd August 1882 Sowerby Bridge, died SeptQ 1882
Marie/Maria Arline Steele born and died SeptQ 1888
Altree Grimsditch Harrison Steele born 13 August 1894 died JuneQ 1895 Bradford

Although I don't have baptism records for James and Marie/Maria, the fact that James was born in Prescot (as Annie was) and died in Halifax (which covers Sowerby) and Marie and Arline are family names.  They had a maternal cousin also called Arline.  This couple liked to use family names as either given or middle names so I am now on the search for where Grimsditch comes in!

Thanks again  ;D ;D
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend