Author Topic: Birth Registers at GRO....what am I doing wrong ?  (Read 3175 times)

Offline mutchall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Registers at GRO....what am I doing wrong ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 12:40 BST (UK) »

SAINT, EMMA      -    Order 
GRO Reference: 1844  M Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 02  Page 546 
WALKER, EMMA  JANE       HUGHES    Order 
GRO Reference: 1844  D Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 02  Page 456 

Is the variant page number your mistake or the GRO's ?  Though the quarter is different so it's probably correct ....  ::)

It was mine as I must have copied the wrong line.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
Be interesting to see if the father or mother (or a relation) registered the birth.

That is an important point - often the most crucial part of a birth certificate when you are interpreting it is what is in the informant column ( and of course you can't see that in the index at all).
Thanks, Antony and Jon for your insight. I was considering ordering the certificate even before I'd checked the GRO Index, to see what information it contained. I first knew of the child's existence when I came across the parish register entry of his burial. His parents weren't named on that. The search for his identity was complicated by his age at 1841 census being wrongly transcribed as 5 years instead of 5 months. He was with his teenage mother, maternal grandparents + youthful aunts & uncles, but with inaccurate ages for mother & son and no relationships shown on census it wasn't apparent at first who he was.  Meanwhile the baby's father was with his older female relative (possible mother) and a work colleague at another address. The couple were witnesses at a wedding the same month, so their relationship seemed to be continuous. I suspect parental opposition to the marriage from the girl's family at least, since they eventually married in 1843, in the month she turned 21, witnesses being groom's friend & friend's fiancée.
The baby died in the summer of 1841, a few weeks after he'd been recorded on the census. His death is indexed under his mother's maiden name. GRO has his age at death as 5, instead of 5 months.
Cowban

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 18:28 BST (UK) »
GRO has his age at death as 5, instead of 5 months.

yes that is a known error by the company that carried out the transcriptions some years ago. Have come across many instances of that and there has been discussion on here. The GRO state under 'Most customers want to know' that they will correct these errors and I did advise of some. However like others I came to the conclusion that provided you cross referenced with FreeBMD and confirmed = Zero it was additional info. Some say even 19 (months) so show as aged 1 on the older indexes. I found that assumming the deaths are registered promptly can aid narrowing a birth month within its quarter.

"Q19. How is the age at death for infant deaths (i.e. died within 12 months of birth) recorded in the indexes?

Generally, age at death for 'infant deaths' will be shown as 0, in line with the microfiche index. However we are aware of a number of records where the age at death is showing a different value e.g. 9. If this is the case, it is likely that the information held in the online index relates to the age in minutes, hours, days, weeks, or months (recorded this way on the original death registration) rather than in years. It is not possible to identify which records maybe affected but we will continue to correct any errors that we do become aware of, or those reported to us."