Author Topic: William McGee  (Read 1130 times)

Offline N_mcgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McGee
« on: Tuesday 17 October 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
I am trying to figure out where William McGee was born, and his parents names. I believe he was born in Virginia because that's what the census records show. He was born between 1800 and 1807. He married Susannah Dawson in Morgan County, VA (now WV) 1/22/1827. They had their first son John W McGee 10/19/1827 in Morgan County, VA (WV). From there they moved to Falls, Muskingum, OH (1830 census). Then they lived in Miami, Logan, OH (census 1840-1860). They moved then to Henry, Fulton, IN (1870 census). William died sometime between 1870 and 1880 I believe. Their children are John W, Sarah Briggs, Mary E, Elisha/Elijah, Moses, Samuel. All born in Ohio except for John W. His wife Susannah was born in Berkeley County Virginia. Her father was Thomas Dawson. I am trying to find any info on William McGee's birth or death. I would really like to find out who is parents were and where they were from. I have tried to do some digging on my own, like looking through newspapers from Fulton, IN for his obit, but I couldn't find anything.

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William McGee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
On the marriage details it gives names of bondsmen as William McGee and Thomas B Dawson.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, N_mgee!

This old book on google found here states that William was born in Berkley County. Va. 
The book was published in 1889, so I don't know how accurate the accounting is.

The link I supplied doesn't quite line up right; William is at the bottom left column of the page it takes you to, and Susanna Dawson right column, near the top.

Hope this helps!

Offline N_mcgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have read that Google book. Some of the information is incorrect. It says William died at 63 yrs of age and he was in the 1870 census at 69 yrs of age. Also it only mentions John W's first wife only and his first 2 wives died before he married a third time. His (3rd) wife at the time of the publication was still alive and not mentioned.   I have searched all of Virginia in the census records to try and link William to one of the McGee families, none of them are from Berkeley county.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 00:36 BST (UK) »

I think he died after the 1880 census,

1880 he is in Saint Bernard, Hamilton, Ohio, USA aged 79, a farmer and widower, with daughters Zemira (40) and Philomela (38)

States born Virginia
Father born Massachusetts
Mother born Pennsylvania

Year: 1880; Census Place: Saint Bernard, Hamilton, Ohio; Roll: 1023
Family History Film: 1255023; Page: 383B; Enumeration District: 098

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 00:37 BST (UK) »

And welcome to RootsChat :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline N_mcgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  :)
But that is not my William. His wife is Susannah. His kids are John W., Sarah Briggs, Mary Owens, Elijah McGee, Samuel McGee, and Moses McGee. All born in Logan County, Ohio besides John W. And when he moved to Fulton Indiana all the kids went too, except Sarah stayed in Ohio, and John W moved to Edgar County, Illinois. The Google book mentions Susannah living with John when she was widowed.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
The death certificate for Elijah (Elisha?  hard to read) states parents of William McGee and Susanna Dawson, and says they were both from Penn.  The informant was a Frank McGee, possible a grandchild, and just giving a best guess?
They consistently put on censuses that they were born Virginia, so the Pennsylvania may just be a red herring.

Offline N_mcgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 01:52 BST (UK) »
Where did you find Elijah's/Elisha's death certificate? I'm interested in seeing that.  Out of all the census records I have found of William's children, all say he was born in VA, except on one census Moses had PA as William's birthplace. But every other time Moses had VA as his father's birthplace in the census. And William had his own birthplace as VA in every census.