Author Topic: Merchant Taylors membership Index  (Read 488 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Merchant Taylors membership Index
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Has anyone subscribed to this via www.parishregister.com ?

I vaguely remember looking at it many moons ago before it was a subscription site but at the time was only looking for one family from Yorkshire who I knew were tailors and appeared to have moved to London in the late 1700s (never did get to the bottom of that one!).

Now I find that I may well have a few families of tailors in Buckinghamshire and Berkshire and wonder if the website would be worth looking at or if it would be solely concentrated on London tailors as another of its databases is London Docklands.

Anyone in the know, please?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Taylors membership Index
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
Don't know for definite but I think you'll find it will be to do with the Merchant Taylors Livery Guild in the "historic" City of London rather than the wider country.  Have never subscribed but in the past we've purchased some CDs of transcripts from Docklands Ancestors prior to the registers going online at Ancestry.  That said, I don't know who runs it now as I'm pretty sure the guy who founded Docklands Ancestors died a few years back.  You'd be better off emailing them and asking the question.

Edit - a quick google suggests the company is probably still run by other family members.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Taylors membership Index
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

I got a really prompt reply to my email and have decided to go for it and order the CD. It is primarily London-based but they did point out that tailors apprenticed in London were then free to go where they wanted - and Berks/Bucks aren't that far away. Nothing ventured, and all that!!

I hadn't realised just how many CDs they have on offer - anyone with London ancestors should definitely be checking them out.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.