Author Topic: Parents of Samuel Streater, born 1743  (Read 1334 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Parents of Samuel Streater, born 1743
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Would anyone be able to provide me with any information on the following individuals:

(New Alresford)

30 Nov 1743 Samuel son of Henry & Mary STREATER

Samuel married in East Worldham in 1769, and died in Farringdon in 1825.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Samuel Streater, born 1743
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
There are a few newspaper items about Henry STREATER of New Alresford - it looks like he was a malster and bankrupt in 1771. In October 1773 he is described as the "late Mr Hen. Streater" in a curious case I don't quite understand (need to do a bit more research) involving some kind of mortgage of &500 dated 1758.

I need to work out how to make the pages smaller to attach them if you'd like? These are the references:
Hampshire Chronicle, Monday, October 4, 1773, Vol. II, Issue 59, p.2.
Hampshire Chronicle, Monday, October 25, 1773, Vol. II, Issue 62, p.2.
Hampshire Chronicle, Monday, November 1, 1773, Vol. II, Issue 63, p.2.
Hampshire Chronicle , Monday, December 6, 1773, Vol. II, Issue 68, p.2.

Reading Mercury, Monday, December 30, 1771, Issue 520, p.1.
(there are various advertisements to his creditors at this time in different papers)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that. I would be very grateful if you could look at the pages. Thanks a lot!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
No worries - bed time now for me  ;D , but I'll work out how to attach it all tomorrow for you.  ;)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 October 17 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Adam,

Here is the 1771 advertisement for the distribution of dividends to creditors which appeared on 16, 23 & 30 December 1771.

The files for the other articles are too big to post here - I'll send you a pm.

I've read through them all and it's a really interesting public argument that involves some money that was left in trust for Henry STREATER's children (I think). The argument is between James COVER and Richard CHAPLIN regarding the Estate of Richard GRIGG who apparently as part of his Estate left Thomas and Margaret GRIGG as trustees. According to my reading, Margaret lent some of this money to Henry STREATER (her nephew) for his mortgage. Henry is said to have "spent the whole of his children's legacies". Apart from the convoluted argument about the money, from your family tree point of view it provides some clues that might be useful (or frustrating!) - how are the GRIGG's related to the STREATERs?

It also lists Henry's children as Henry, Mary, Samuel, Martha, Hannah, Betty and Ann. And two nephews: William and Samuel SMITH of Winchester.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 October 17 06:58 BST (UK) »
Thomas GRIGG of New Alresford, brazier (this is the same Thomas who was trustee for Richard GRIGG's estate in the above article, which says they were both braziers) married Margaret SMITH on 5 Feb 1725/6 in "New Alresford, or Old Alresford".

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kx5/

Still can't see how Henry STREATER is her nephew - but will keep looking.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 October 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
This is all very interesting. Thanks!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 November 17 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Having revisited this:

Margaret Grigg (Smith) is an aunt to Henry. Is it possible that Henry's mother was a Smith and the sister to Margaret?

I haven't had any luck myself tracing Henry. His wife was Mary, but I can find no marriage record. Or a death one.