Author Topic: WW! Royal Engineers Mesopotamia  (Read 789 times)

Offline meadows19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW! Royal Engineers Mesopotamia
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, First time posting. I am trying to find any information about My Great Uncle John Boyle 205599 Sapper Royal Engineers Inland Water Transport. He died In Mesopotamia in 17 November 1917. Any information regarding his unit and possibly war diaries of the unit, and where (if) he would be buried or commemorated, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Lesley

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW! Royal Engineers Mesopotamia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Lesley

Warm welcome to Rootschat.  Your great uncle's service record has survived and you really should see it for yourself.  He was accidentally drowned on 13 November 1917 (not 17th) when he and a local man were thrown into the water by the capsizing of a barge.  He died trying to save the man.  There are many pages of the court of enquiry that convened to establish the circumstances.

He was buried in the Basra War cemetery https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/509401/boyle,-/  There is a mistake with his number, the grave registration details down the page are correct.  Sadly, the cemetery suffered badly in the recent conflicts, need to do a bit more work to find the present situation.

His unit shows only "Inland Water Transport", can't at the moment find a war diary.  However, his record will tell a story, I'll take a closer look at it today for you.

Meanwhile, you might like to join Findmypast with a short subscription where you will find and can download his record.

More later.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline meadows19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
OH MY Thank you very much for this information I will definitely do as you suggested.
Thank you again
Lesley

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello and Welcome

My father was with the Inland Water Transport as well. My son found this book "The Inland Water Transport in Mesopotamia" by Lt Col L J Hall OBE. You may well like to read about this incredible feat. https://archive.org/details/inlandwatertrans00hall   Excellent book.

My father survived but his records did not. They were caught up in the fire in the archives in WWII.

Good Reading
Pelican

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Well found Pelican!

MaxD

PS Lesley when you join FindMyPast, unless you want to stay with them, make sure to uncheck Autorenew when you get to it!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
The most recent reports on the Basra cemetery make depressing reading.  Essentially it has been destroyed.  The memorial book remains and you can get a copy of his entry from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Page 321 of the book that Pelican cites has a picture of the type of vessel, a "Motor Bellum",  involved in the accident.

Brief outilne of his service:
Joined in Belfast  2 Oct 1916  Served in UK until 4 Nov 1916, arrived Basra Mesopotamia 5 Nov 1916.
Had a few short spells in hospital at Makina Masus (sometimes written Masul), (near Basra)
Accidentally drowned 13 November 1917, buried at Makin Masus cemetery (since incorporated into Basra War Cemetery).

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline meadows19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 01:18 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all for your help it is much appreciated