Author Topic: Mont Park Assylum records  (Read 3156 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mont Park Assylum records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 October 17 06:03 BST (UK) »
Robert on the off chance that Euphemia was a patient at Mont Park prior to Kew -
http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/component/daPublicBaseContainer?component=daViewAgency&entityId=2846

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bigbob52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mont Park Asylum records
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
       Thank you for all your responses, I will make this a combined reply and hopefully keep my answers to one message.
 1. I have checked the PROV records, only to find that her Death was 26 Aug 1962, and that her last placement was Mont Park Asylum. _ (Intro to her will/Probate)
2.  Kew Asylum was shut down well before her death, and an unlikely lead to her location of burial.
3.  After a report from the Latrobe University, it was declared that no cemetery existed on or near the Mont Park Asylum, and that in fact hospital records showed that the system then in place was that the family was given the right to bury her where they like at there costs, and that in the case of destitute patients, their bodies were distributed locally through contractors associated with the hospital.
4.  I have tried to keep my costs down due to the fact that I am retired and living on a pension, and therefore decided not to purchase certificates unless it's a very close family member.
5.  I did check the Springvale burial, but seems an unlikely lead, but will keep it in mind. (noted)
6.  I will check with MGC, it's a good idea, and it was a major Cemetery in 1962. (noted)
7.  I would appreciate any Electoral Roll information just to help narrow down the time line a bit more.  As she did not marry I have no children to contact, nor husbands information to help fill in the "picture".
8.  I hope that I have not offended anyone with the way I have responded, I did remove my email address as suggested, and appreciate ALL you assistance.

Regards, Robert

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 October 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Her probate/letters of administration file at PROV shows her residence as Mont Park however that is not necessarily her place of death.  My parents both died in a place of care in a different state to their home however their probate file index listing at PROV shows their residence as their home address.  It does not cost anything to view probate files at PROV.

Kew Asylum/Mental Hospital closed in 1988
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kew_Asylum

Euphemia Jane McLEOD was not buried at Springvale in 1964.  That is another person whose death registration is searchable at Vic bdm's which is free https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

We all have financial restrains and one doesn't have to be living on a pension to watch one's living costs.

Viewing the documentation/files at PROV is also free.    I have given you links to what is available for both Mont Park and Kew. 

It certainly appears to me that she died at Kew Mental Hospital or a similar name.  The names changed over the years to reflect social attitudes towards institutions.

As I searched ALL the Melbourne cemeteries whose databases are online and found nothing I can only repeat that you email MGC.  I have found their customer service over the years to be excellent.  I have often received a response within 24 hours however I always attached death certificates which if the surname had been mistranscribed to their registers, and it had on three occasions, they can search the burial date which is noted on the certificates.  Please give the date of death and her place of death as Kew and possibly in the Mental Hospital. 

I will type up the electoral roll listings later.

Cando

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 October 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Not Euphemia Jane at Springvale Botanical Cemetery.  You need to check the online VIC bdm's before posting as there was a Euphemia McLEOD who died in 1964.
Ouch. :o
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 October 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Here you are Robert  :)

Australian Electoral Roll
McLEOD Euphemia Jane 10 Tiuna Grove Elwood Nurse

1928, 1931
McLEOD Euphemia Jane  745 Rathdowne Street, Carlton North  HD
McLEOD Sarah Ann  745 Rathdowne Street, Carlton North  Nurse
This is possibly Euphemia's sister died 1962 Bundoora  Reg#9307  According to VIC BDM place of birth, St Arnaud and place of death was Larundel [Mental Asylum].  There is a probate file on PROV which notes Sarah Ann McLEOD of Bentleigh.  The file may be Letters of Administration but you would need to view the contents at PROV.

McLEOD Euphemia Jane 527 Lygon Street, Carlton North   Nurse
McLEOD Sarah Ann 527 Lygon Street, Carlton North   Nurse

1936, 1937
McLEOD Euphemia Jane   202 Charles Street, Northcote   Nurse
McLEOD Sarah Ann   202 Charles Street, Northcote  Nurse 

McLEOD Euphemia Jane  3 Pakington Street, Kew   Needlewoman
McLEOD Sarah Ann  3 Pakington Street, Kew   HD

If you don't have Sarah Ann's burial information then perhaps consider the possibility she may have been interred at Melbourne General Cemetery.  I cannot find a record of her burial at the cemeteries who have their records online.

Cheers  :)
Cando

Offline Bigbob52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
       Just received info about Euphemia and her sister Sarah, They are buried in the MGC, as previously discussed. She is buried with her sister Sarah who died several months earlier of the same year. It also looks she was a Larundel Hospital, in Bundoora.

Many thanks to those who inspired me to check further, Regards, Robert

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 05:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Robert.  You have the links to the records available at PROV if you wish to continue your research.

I hope you found my last post helpful.

Cheers
Cando