Author Topic: A Family Deception  (Read 883 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
A Family Deception
« on: Monday 23 October 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
In the course of my research, at the beginning of last year, I found out that the elderly aunt with whom my family had many holidays 50 years ago, turned out to have been my father's mother rather than his sister.  It is now clear that she became pregnant in the late 1920s, got married, gave birth to my father who was then brought up by his grandparents. Both the grandparents and his birth mother kept this deception secret for the rest of their lives.  My late father discovered this 30-odd years ago, although at the time I was not in contact with him and only made the discovery myself last year.

I would be interested through the forum or confidential personal message to hear from anybody who has made similar discoveries about themselves, as I can't imagine how my father would have felt on discovering this deception. Last year it took me several months to have any interest in my father's birth father, who nobody ever knew, and who was very quickly separated from his wife.  My father's birth father  and his forebears are now an additional and integral part of my research.

I know it is reasonably common for children or even adults to find out that they were adopted, but I would like to understand the emotional feelings of somebody who finds out that he was knowingly deceived for so many many years.  Even in her dotage, and, retrospectively, probably suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, my (now) great grandmother kept her secret, even when my parents were looking after her in her eighties.

Martin

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Family Deception
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
It was surprisingly common for a couple to bring up a daughter’s illegitimate child as their own.

I have come across several examples in my own wider family. I have just received a birth certificate which  confirmed my suspicions of just such an event.

I have another example where the grandmother went on to have another child of her own that would become the youngest in family, this was to divert any suspicions people may have about the parentage of the illegitimate child. This fooled me until the family were the subject of the programme Heir Hunters.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
How strange this subject should be aired today, last night I finished a book about exactly the same subject, a Hamish Macbeth detective story

There are secrets in families, there is one in my husbands which as far as I know only 2 other people plus the person concerned knew about, even the woman's own sons didn't know about it either, it is amazing how people must have a memory to say "don't mention it" or do they completely erase it from their memory, perhaps some secrets are best not spoken about till us genealogists start digging !!!

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  My father only found out the truth after applying for a 10-year passport in the 1980s, long after all concerned were dead.  He apparently found out he didn't exist!  As a result of a family rift, I only discovered the truth last year.  At first I had no interest in my 'real' 'new' grandfather, but I am now digging hard.  I would so love to know how he felt.  Anger?  Puzzlement?  Let down?  I'd love to hear from someone in his position.

20 years before his birth, both families lived just a few yards apart, but I can't find any evidence of contact then.

I know this sort of thing is well-known, but always to 'someone else'.

Martin

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Good luck Martin, hope you can find out more to give you peace of mind

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London