Author Topic: GUSTAVE FASOLA (Fergus O'Conner Greenwood)  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Peter Reeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GUSTAVE FASOLA (Fergus O'Conner Greenwood)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 October 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, his son, Fergus Jr, was born in New Zealand in 1912. It's possible that he took over the act, but, if he did it was short-lived and he doesn't seem to have been mentioned in any English papers? I think, as you suggested, that the Aussie newspaper items (apart from the one in 1936) were elderly general 'filler' stories that no-one bothered to update when they were repeated over the years.

Thanks for your interest. I'll keep you all advised when I get the death certificate.

Cheers. Peter Reeve

Offline Peter Reeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 November 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Got the certificate and yes, it was suicide by hanging. The certificate records that inquest decided the balance of his mind was disturbed because he was unable to get work. Very sad - and still very odd that there was nothing in the papers. Presumably, the absence of publicity is why the Australians thought he was still alive years later.   

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 November 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether, because his death was recorded as Fergus Greenwood, it wasn't picked up or noticed by the press? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter Reeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 November 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
That's possible I suppose, but the certificate does record his occupation - "music hall artiste" - and says "also known as Fasola" after his surname. I'd have thought that an inquest on anyone's death would always have at least one journalist in attendance, but maybe I'm wrong.

Offline jeanniegwt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I see quite a bit of interest here in the life of Fergus O’Conner Greenwood aka Gustave Fasola and I was wondering if any of you have a family connection to this Greenwood family. I am related through my grandfather who was his brother.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Hopefully Peter, who started this thread, will see your reply and answer.

Offline Peter Reeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeannie - I am not related to Fergus/Gustave, but he was one of the more interesting members of my Freemason's Lodge which still meets in London and I am researching his story so it can be shared with other Freemasons and brethren of his Lodge.  Using his stage name, Gustave was initiated into the Lodge in December 1904, shortly after it was first granted a warrant by the United Grand Lodge of England.

I think I have now pieced together the bones of his story and his tour of Australia and NZ, but, as you'll have seen, I was puzzled as to why he tragically hung himself in 1929 and why there don't seem to have been any press reports at the time. I now understand that he was suffering from depression as he could not find work, even though he seems to have been well-regarded in show-business and had a very successful career for many years. If you're able to throw any further light on this, it would be very helpful.

Regrettably, most of the records of the Lodge from that period have been lost, so I don't know if he ever served as its Worshipful Master or undertook any of the other officer positions in the Lodge. If you have any information at all about his 'masonic career', that would also be very helpful.

I understand that 'Rootschat' has a private messaging facility that you might prefer to use for your reply, but I haven't yet discovered how to use it myself, hence this post.

Thanks for your interest - and please feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you wish!

Warm regards
Peter Reeve

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I understand that 'Rootschat' has a private messaging facility that you might prefer to use for your reply, but I haven't yet discovered how to use it myself, hence this post.

Under a person's avatar there is an rectangular shape in a circle - looks like a letter. If you click on that it takes you to the PM page so you can communicate privately. If a person is online it shows green, but you can send a PM even if they aren't online. Jeannie will need to post a couple more times before she can use the PM facility (this is to prevent spamming) so if she just says "Hi" or "thank you" in a couple of posts her, it should then work.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 November 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Just replied to your test PM, Peter. You should get an email from RC saying you have a message, then on this page under messages it should show you have a message waiting.