Author Topic: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."  (Read 5418 times)

Offline suejohnsoncroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 19 April 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hanes teulu.
Thank you very much for that, I need to look at older Newspapers, I don’t think I had looked at them that far back. Another thing to put on my to do list.
 I love all this extra information, it puts flesh on the bones so to speak.
Croot, Pell, Titmus, Mellors Holmes, Roberts, Grey ( From Gamlingay to Derbyshire)
 Pointez,(France. Notts & Derbys)
Searle, Clark, Hall, Ringrose, Flatters, Howard, Holmes Robert, Lindsey, & Kettleband (Mostly Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire)
Weldon,( Westmeath Eire)
My favorite family names: Surname Hubleday and the most impressive My 3rd G, Grandmother. Genevieve Euphrosine Charlotte DUBOIS !

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Early newspapers reported the appointment of gamekeepers.

Stamford Mercury, Fri, 28 Sep 1787
LINCOLNSHIRE,PARTS OF KESTEVEN
Gamekeepers
Deputed - Ringrose, Benjamin - Haydor
By whom - Duke of Rutland
Manor - Ropsley

His entry for Sep 1789  reads -
Keepers' Names - Ringrove (sic), Benjamin of Hather
Lords and Ladies of Manors - ... Isabella, Duchess of Rutland and Henry Duke of Beaufort; Right Hon William, Earl of Mansfield and the Right Hon William Pitt
Manor - Ropsley

Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
A further link is Samuel called his daughter Charlotte, Samuels younger sister was also called Charlotte.

There are also more links regarding the names of Samuel's children, Sue apart from him having a daughter called Charlotte:

His son Benjamin, baptised in 1823 in Hoveringham.
His son William, baptised in 1821 and the previous one that had died in 1812. William was Samuel's brother's name.
His daughter Mary, baptised in 1816. Samuel had a half sister called Mary.

I originally rejected the Hather link previously because in the 1841 census, Samuel had been put down as being born in the county of Nottinghamshire.
But then I looked at Benjamin Ringrose, brother of Samuel. He was baptised in 1781 in Hather.
In that 1841 census, Benjamin was also put down as being born in Nottinghamshire.
Family Search here has given him an age of 66. But a transcription on Ancestry gives his age as 60:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7S9-H5X

Then in the 1851 census, Benjamin's place of birth has been put down as: "Hather Lodge, Lincolnshire". It is the same person who was recorded above in the 1841 census in Southwell:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGDY-R7Q

There was also the fact that Hoveringham where Samuel was living in the 1841 census, is only just under 6 miles south from Southwell. And with the other facts found, that's when I started to think that they were more than just coincidences:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Southwell/Hoveringham+Village+Hall,+Gonalston+Ln,+Nottingham+NG14+7JH/@53.0484807,-0.9927274,13z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4879b53ab99826d5:0x99f5ec9e664f7dcc!2m2!1d-0.959921!2d53.079044!1m5!1m1!1s0x4879c84f9f6fa1b1:0x43f1434f95a8d5c6!2m2!1d-0.9606843!2d53.0122109!3e1

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 19 April 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
I originally rejected the Hather link previously because in the 1841 census, Samuel had been put down as being born in the county of Nottinghamshire.
But then I looked at Benjamin Ringrose, brother of Samuel. He was baptised in 1781 in Hather.
In that 1841 census, Benjamin was also put down as being born in Nottinghamshire.

That is quite common with the 1841 Census and I've seen it quite a lot of times, someone listed as born in county when either later census or other information confirms otherwise, and vice versa.  Added to the issue with lack of relationship and rounding of ages, the 1841 is the least accurate but can obviously still be useful.  There can of course be issues with all the Census, particularly dependent on the informant of the information and whether they are being totally honest.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 10 May 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
Early newspapers reported the appointment of gamekeepers.

Stamford Mercury, Fri, 28 Sep 1787
LINCOLNSHIRE,PARTS OF KESTEVEN
Gamekeepers
Deputed - Ringrose, Benjamin - Haydor
By whom - Duke of Rutland
Manor - Ropsley

His entry for Sep 1789  reads -
Keepers' Names - Ringrove (sic), Benjamin of Hather
Lords and Ladies of Manors - ... Isabella, Duchess of Rutland and Henry Duke of Beaufort; Right Hon William, Earl of Mansfield and the Right Hon William Pitt
Manor - Ropsley

Thank you for this.  :) ;)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 11 May 20 07:38 BST (UK) »
Stamford Mercury, 31 Mar 1743
ADVERT
"There is now in the Hands of John Weaver of Hather Lodge, near Grantham, Lincolnshire, a grey Horse call'd Driver ..."

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 11 May 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
Stamford Mercury, 31 Mar 1743
ADVERT
"There is now in the Hands of John Weaver of Hather Lodge, near Grantham, Lincolnshire, a grey Horse call'd Driver ..."

Haha! The plot thickens! (Possibly anyway  :D). :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 11 May 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
There was a William Weaver Ringrose a Music Bachelor, Oxon, F.C.O. -
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3357120?seq=1

I know he was an Organist, at Great Marlow and then Southwell and went to Oxford University.
He was a son of William Ringrose who was baptised 1794 at Heydour, Lincolnshire. His dad died aged 65 at Oxford in 1859.
Does anyone please know what "F.C.O" stands for in the above link?

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 11 May 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
Did wonder if Hather Lodge was linked to Hather Thorpe?

https://cca.qc.ca/fr/recherche/details/collection/object/14314