Author Topic: Has anyone heard of Henry Turner, novelist?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of Henry Turner, novelist?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 October 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw that. But an independent filmmaker now living in California didn't write a book in 1877. So I don't know what is going on there.

I don't understand it either i.e. I didn't comment but thought it worth pointing out as it's a bit of a conundrum  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 October 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps a hopeful sign? Contemporary review of Renruth
"contains some references to the Civil Service, which are probably based on experience"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 October 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, everyone, for all that information.

Where was he in 1881?
77 Earls Court Road, Chelsea, London

1871 Marriage: to Catherine Wilson OSWALD took place in Mordington, Berwickshire, Scotland (where Catherine was born).
What were the details on that marriage as to his parents - did it name them as the pair you believe are his parents, William Turner and Mary Alsey
Yes.

Renruth .... Grace .... contains some references to the Civil Service
I think you've cracked it.

I did look up Wikipedia and found the one in California. Obviously the wrong person!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 October 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw that. But an independent filmmaker now living in California didn't write a book in 1877. So I don't know what is going on there.

I don't understand it either i.e. I didn't comment but thought it worth pointing out as it's a bit of a conundrum  ;D
Classic bit of disinformation - "Fact 1: Henry Turner is the author of Renruth and Grace .... Fact 2: there's a writer named Henry Turner from Baltimore living in California .... Fallacious deduction: therefore Henry Turner from Baltimore who lives in California is the author of Renruth and Grace".
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 October 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 October 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Oh crikey,it's the Baltimore man again :(
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 October 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. 'The Graphic' on 31 March 1877 reported receipt of Renruth by H Turner and Done in the Dark, author of Zoe's Brand etc.

I have found three reviews of Grace, one of which damns it with faint praise and the other two slate it with no holds barred. Haven't found any reviews of Renruth yet.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Both are in the British Library, if you're really curious!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
After reading the reviews, I am not sure that I am curious enough to sit and read them in the BL reading rooms  ;)