Author Topic: James Cock, 1803-1881 Truro, husband to Jane  (Read 4802 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Cock, 1803-1881 Truro, husband to Jane
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 November 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps there has been a recent renumbering of Frances Street. If you look on Google Streetview the house next to the Old Globe is clearly numbered 23, yet the Wig&Pen (the old Star) two doors away seems now to be number 1 rather than number 25.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 03 November 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »
The Star is in some directories as 1 Castle Street (it is on the corner) so maybe that is where the confusion has crept in.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 03 November 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps there has been a recent renumbering of Frances Street. If you look on Google Streetview the house next to the Old Globe is clearly numbered 23, yet the Wig&Pen (the old Star) two doors away seems now to be number 1 rather than number 25.

Yes, after seeing your earlier post, I have been studying the numbering and street views on my tablet. They're all over the place, and I suspect that you're right about the renumbering at some stage. Perhaps I'll try emailing the local council to ask if they can shed some light on the confusion.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 03 November 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
After studying the map and street views up and down Frances Street closely, I think that no. 1 Frances St is actually the little boarded up shop on the opposite corner, and the Wig and Pen should be either no. 1 Castle St. or No. 25 Frances.

Nos. 2-17 Frances runs up (leftwards) one side, and down the other side, 18 to 23, then the Globe (no. 24), then the Star/Wig and Pen (variously no. 25 Frances, no. 1 Castle and (mistakenly) no. 1 Frances). Now I just have to revisit the various census records to see if there are any more clues which may indicate the exact properties inhabited by the various Cocks.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 03 November 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Number 13 is obviously of interest. Home of James Cock and then in later years of his daughter Jane Harry.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 03 November 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Frances Street in 1883 & 1888 https://imgur.com/a/FvzW6#DYFZqeg

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 November 17 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Frances Street in 1883 & 1888 https://imgur.com/a/FvzW6#DYFZqeg

Ah, thanks very much for those, Shaun - those are all (facts & extracts) very useful.

I have just had another attempt at finding my way amongst those Leicester Uni directories, having been too tired to try the other night. It'll take a while to find and navigate around the best sources (and I really shouldn't have downloaded an entire directory - not necessary, I realised afterwards!), but I've found Edward at no.1 and James Sr, builder, at no. 13, in the Cornwall 1873 PO directory. Unfortunately I have not as yet managed to find either The Ship or James Jr in Victoria Place, where he was supposed to have been in January of that year... But I'll keep looking. Now that I've worked out how to access them, I'm sure that I'll find other things of interest there too - very nice to have!

Edit: I forgot to add - here's a beauty: "Cock John grocer& sugar confectioner, 1 puke street"!

Also, I realised as I was sorting things out that I had occasionally been confusing two Edwards. The innkeeper was brother of James Sr; the grocer his son. The inkeeper Edward went on to run the Duke of Cornwall after the Globe.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 04 November 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth going over the ground again and checking that you are researching the right person. There are a couple of online trees which identify the parents of the James Cock who married Emily Woollcott in 1862 as William Cock (1805-1873) and Betsy Whitford (1803-1862).

Do you have the 1862 marriage certificate?

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 04 November 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth going over the ground again and checking that you are researching the right person. There are a couple of online trees which identify the parents of the James Cock who married Emily Woollcott in 1862 as William Cock (1805-1873) and Betsy Whitford (1803-1862).

Do you have the 1862 marriage certificate?

Aaarrrggghhh!!! I hope not! But I'm too tired to go over it all tonight, having spent many hours today scrutinising difficult text, amongst other things.

No, I don't have the marriage certificate, but the reference I've put in for the marriage is a FamilySearch one: "England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DVC-MVW : 13 December 2014), Emily Woolcott, 1862; from “England & Wales Marriages, 1837-2005,” database, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : 2012); citing 1862, quarter 4, vol. 1B, p. 460, Islington, London, England, General Register Office, Southport, England.

I'll have to have another look tomorrow.   :-\