Author Topic: Wedding Gifts  (Read 1149 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Gifts
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi groom,  Thanks for the reply,  Great...very interesting. thank you

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maiden Stone, thanks or your lengthy reply,  You have given me much to think about. Much appreciated

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rena,   Appreciate your input to my question. Very interesting.  What may I ask is a 'c/w tray set for the table'?

sorry:  c/w = complete with.

Rooms had different names when I was young - for instance, where I lived nobody had a "lounge" and depending on whether they lived in a house that had two or three rooms downstairs, they either had a workroom called a scullery or a kitchen. Both those workrooms had a wooden table that would be scrubbed clean with a scrubbing brush  which when not used for preparing food, such as baking it would be covered with an oilcloth and in the parlour/living room there'd be another polished wooden dining table covered with a decorative thick fringed chenille table cloth. One of our neighbours displayed her silverware in the middle of her table - this being a silver tray on which was a tall silver teapot, hot water jug, cream/milk jug and sugar pot.  My grandmother (married 1911) had a ruby glass rose bowl in the middle of her table.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy
MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell
Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar
Ross, Urray:Mackenzie
Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell
Perthshire: Brown Ferguson
Wales: McCarthy, Thomas
England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells
Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rena for some more information to add to my collection of 1918 life.