Author Topic: John Arthur Frank Seddon (1908-1964) Criminal information  (Read 1520 times)

Offline C-A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Originally from the UK, but live & work in Italy
    • View Profile
John Arthur Frank Seddon (1908-1964) Criminal information
« on: Saturday 04 November 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for some advice about how to find information on criminal proceedings related to John Arthur Frank Seddon (1908 - 1964).

He was my great uncle but the black sheep of the family and so I knew almost nothing about him until a few years ago.

I have traced some information about his wife and children, but what I am really interested in is a court case that was apparently brought against him.

This is what I have been told but I don't know how accurate it is and have not been able to find any records or newspaper reports to verify anything:
He was a chartered accountant and lived in Enfield. I don't know where he practiced accountancy, but it could have been London.  Apparently he embezzled a large amount of money from a client and there was a court case. My father remembers that he was sent to prison, although the sentence was very short. As my father was a teenager at the time, I assume this took place sometime in the late 1940's or 1950's.

If anyone could give me some suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Thank-you.
Richards, Seddon, Welsh, Clark, Suttie, Ritchie, Tinworth, Harrington

Online Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: John Arthur Frank Seddon (1908-1964) Criminal information
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi C-A:

My first thought would be to check the National Archives website to see if they hold records from that time frame: http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/ .

If it isn't clear (I have a hard time finding info on that site), perhaps you could email them with your enquiry. Even if they don't have the records, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline C-A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine,

First of all, sorry - I thought I had responded to thank you but it looks like I didn't.

I have been onto the National Archives but am still drawing a blank. This is a puzzle I have been trying to solve on and off for a couple of years now with no luck.  A month or so ago someone on Ancestry contacted me and confirmed that they had also heard of a scandal, but didn't know any more than that.

I am fairly sure there is some truth in it but I guess for now I'm just going to wait for it to be revealed!

Thanks again,

C-A

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 17 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Why not check with the Institute of Chartered Accountants themselves.  Any member convicted of such a crime would have to have a disciplinary hearing before being removed from membership.

http://www.icaew.com/
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C-A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 17 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course - thanks.  I have been on their site and tried searching their database, but hadn't thought of contacting them directly  ::)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
He's listed as an FCA in The Accountant in 1964 - presumably as a deceased member.

https://goo.gl/4yUq1P
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C-A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark - yes this is John's family (the info here was shared from my tree originally).

and thanks ShaunJ - off to have a look now.

Online Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome, C-A.

I couldn't tell from your response whether or not you had contacted the National Archives (as opposed to searching the website). I've found them to be quite helpful.

My next thought would be to contact the local library (or libraries) in Enfield to ask if they have any files or indexes of newspaper clippings pertaining to locals.

Years ago, newspaper offices used to keep files of old articles, but I'd be surprised if those hadn't all been purged. Even so, it might not hurt to contact any local newspaper(s) in Enfield to ask about historical cases.

Whenever I make an inquiry, I always say that, if they don't have the documents or info I'm looking for, I'd appreciate any suggestions of other places that I might try.

Good luck!

Regards,
Josephine

England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters