Author Topic: Can anyone who uses ancestry online tree help me?  (Read 761 times)

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone who uses ancestry online tree help me?
« on: Saturday 04 November 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I seemed to have messed up my ancestry tree in one area and am not sure how to fix it without deleting several people.
Basically there is one ancestor who had 13 children and I have somehow managed to put some down as the children of both him and his wife and some down as only being the child of one parent. They are all him and his wife's children but it's all messed up and I don't know how to fix it without deleting a load of people. Not sure if I'm making much sense but if you can help it would be appreciated
Thank you
Vicky

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone who uses ancestry online tree help me?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky, try this...

Go to the profile page of one of the children with only one parent, click on "Edit" at top right, then click "Edit Relationships" from the drop down menu.  You should then be able to select and add the missing parent from your tree.  Do this for each of the children who have a missing parent.  :D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
When you do the above if you do it for one sibling it will ask if you want to include the other siblings with only one matching parent (and absent other parent) as the offspring of both parents

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I can't see an edit relationships but I am using it on my phone app so it may be different.
The weird thing is that on the profile they have both parents but it's only in tree view that they only have one parent

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
When you go to edit, and you want to delete the info. put a "." in the text space.
for a date put 1st January 2000. then later you can update that date when you have new info.
That's what I have done and it worked.
You say.......
The weird thing is that on the profile they have both parents but it's only in tree view that they only have one parent
you may have put one parent in first then saved it, then the other parent and saved it again. It happens on reports where the guts of the programme doesn't auto save like in Windows etc, it auto saves every so often.
Maggsie

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 17 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all. I went onto the computer and found edit relationships and have sorted it all out. Some of the children had both parents under mother or both under father and some had the father as mother and vice versa. no idea how that happened but all sorted now.
Thanks for all your help
Vicky