Author Topic: A 1942 Birth mystery  (Read 1740 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A 1942 Birth mystery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
You could order the one you believe it may be, don't give the reference and state you only want it if the fathers details match the bits you know

Not sure if the rules are still the same now as then but currently the father only has a certain length of time to protest the adoption (I believe it's 6 weeks)

BTW my husband great grandmother was widowed in 1915 and named her husband as the father of her child born in 1918 - clearly not the case, however you could probably have got away with it and more so during a war period

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
At that time it was automatically assumed  the husband was the father, unles the Registrar was told otherwise, and the natural father would have had to attended the registration.

As the birth appears to be the result of an illicit liaison, it is quite likely that the woman would choose to go away to have the child where she was not known. Being war time it happened like that quite often.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
At that time it was automatically assumed  the husband was the father, unles the Registrar was told otherwise, and the natural father would have had to attended the registration.

It isn't a question of assumption, or him being added automatically  - a married woman registering a birth is able to add her husband as the father without him being present, an unmarried woman can't.  But if she knows that to be false (or impossible) then she commits perjury in doing so.

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
THanks everyone, its all been a great help.
Will check on the war evacuation thing, and work on the assumption it must be registered, and so I need to check that one birth I found.
Cheers you're all great.
Neil
Orme, Bethnal Green/Shoreditch
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Clegg, Sowerby Bridge, West Derby and Camberwell
Munt, Morley, London.
Dobbie, Baxter, Martin, Liddell-   Glasgow
"I am the family face, Flesh perishes, I live on"

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 November 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just another observation and thought:  Is the damaged cert an original one? For example, does the paper look as if It's from 1940's? Or does it look newer than that , as if  the lady ordered the cert in more recent times.
You say it has the father's and mother's name on the cert you have, I find this a little odd as many people just had the short cert (short cert was a free cert, the long cert you had to pay for and many parents just did not fork out for this), even my own original cert is a short one (and I wasn't born anywhere near the 40's!).

I do think you need to order the cert you have found in the indexes . Have you tried to search for a marriage of the child in the indexes (you said you can't find a death), may not be helpful if the child has gone under a different surname to the one it was born with though.
Kind regards

Ps if you search up pregnant women evacuees ww2 you'll find that many pregnant women were evacuated,along with children, elderly and the disabled.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/55/a2056655.shtml

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuations_of_civilians_in_Britain_during_World_War_II

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies again.
Yes, that may be a thing about it being a copy....I can see the writing saying it is certified a true copy of and then dated 1942, but it could be one from another time maybe. 
Lots to be done, thank you all.

Neil
Orme, Bethnal Green/Shoreditch
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Clegg, Sowerby Bridge, West Derby and Camberwell
Munt, Morley, London.
Dobbie, Baxter, Martin, Liddell-   Glasgow
"I am the family face, Flesh perishes, I live on"