Author Topic: 63rd Regiment - around 1820  (Read 943 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
63rd Regiment - around 1820
« on: Thursday 09 November 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying to get more information on Edward Hugh Barron, who in 1828 was on the first fleet on ships to arrive in Perth Western Australia, then known as Swan Settlement.
He was listed as a Colour Sergeant of 63rd Regiment and arrived on the ship Sulphur.
He was born in 1796, unsure where but is listed as Ireland in some trees (no source). I suspect he may be English.
I can't seem to find him on web sites for UK army records.  Does anyone have access to anything that might help me?
Many thanks!
Mosher

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 63rd Regiment - around 1820
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 November 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I should add that I have all of his history in Australia, just after his army records or anything that could help with his prior to Australia life!

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 November 17 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I see from trees he was discharged out in Australia.

Maybe he falls into this category from the National Archives

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4400712

WO 25/3849

Register of men discharged at their own request by the King's Warrant of 14th November, 1829, (including Regiments of Cavalry and Infantry): Infantry - 30th to 99th Foot. Infantry - Riffle Brigade. Staff Corps. Newfoundland Companies. Staff Serjeants. Military Labourers. Cape Mounted Rifles. 1st and 2nd West Indian Regiments. East Indian Company. African Colonial Corps.

1830-1838

Failing that, there's always the fallback of ploughing through the Muster Rolls but it's sloooooow progress

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l12/

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 November 17 13:30 GMT (UK) »
There is some info about soldiers' documents at this link. Although the link is about the time regiments were in Canada, I would think the records themselves should cover other countries as well?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 November 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I see from trees he was discharged out in Australia.

Maybe he falls into this category from the National Archives

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4400712

WO 25/3849

Register of men discharged at their own request by the King's Warrant of 14th November, 1829, (including Regiments of Cavalry and Infantry): Infantry - 30th to 99th Foot. Infantry - Riffle Brigade. Staff Corps. Newfoundland Companies. Staff Serjeants. Military Labourers. Cape Mounted Rifles. 1st and 2nd West Indian Regiments. East Indian Company. African Colonial Corps.

1830-1838

Failing that, there's always the fallback of ploughing through the Muster Rolls but it's sloooooow progress

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l12/

Thanks Stevie.  Do i have to physically go through the records?  They don't seem to be digitised.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 17 13:48 GMT (UK) »
There is some info about soldiers' documents at this link. Although the link is about the time regiments were in Canada, I would think the records themselves should cover other countries as well?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/

PB

I have searched via his name on the National Archives but no positive results.  It seems maybe the years I need aren't digitised?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 November 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the films are not digitized so you would need to view them at the archives or at a family history center (the familysearch folks). If you are near a family history center, I would consult with them about the availibility of the records.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 November 17 06:55 GMT (UK) »
I think if there was a record in WO97 it would show up on FindMyPast

IIRC those records were only kept if they were being used to calculate entitlement to a pension. If someone paid to discharge themselves (or died) they weren't needed.

Or to put it another way, yes, I do think there's not going to be any online shortcuts available  :(

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline declanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, a recent DNA test has me related to Rohan Barron, descendant of Edward Hugh. Trees online have Edward as from Donegal but Mudrooroo writes Edward was from Clare and the DNA seems to back this up