Author Topic: William James Clancy 1831  (Read 579 times)

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William James Clancy 1831
« on: Saturday 11 November 17 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all, I am trying, and so far failing, to find out where I can find the details of my great great Grandfathers birth and thus he parents who details may be recorded at that time.  He was William James Clancy and was born in 1831 or perhaps a couple of years either side in 'St John, Middlesex, England.  His marriage from 1858 says his father was James Clancy but there are so many it is too much of a guess.  The 1841 & 1851 censes are not giving up the information either.  The family appear to be made up of Labourers and lived in Brompton for 20 plus years from 1865ish.  Can anybody help track down the birth details?  Many thanks, Stephen.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James Clancy 1831
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teletran,

What was his father's occupation - and who were the witness' on the marriage, also the address given for William?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, give me 2 mins, Stephen (Teletran)

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
William's father (James) was a Labourer, the witnesses were Daniel Mullins and I assume his wife but I cannot make it out 'Honora' 'Flonora'.  Address was 8 Holland Street.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Daniel & Honora Mullins and family (plus others) were living at 8 Holland Street in 1861. Daniel was 40 and born Limerick, Honora was 36 and born Waterford.

Living at No. 7 were John & Joanna Clancy, both born Cork.  Jeremiah & Ellen Clansey were at No 6. Relatives of James perhaps?   
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:34 GMT (UK) »
As you say that William consistently says he was born St John's, this could be a possibility:

1841, Great Peter Street, St John
James Clancy 42 Labourer born Ireland   
Ellen Clancy  40   born Ireland      
William Clancy 10 born in County

1851, 7 Strutton Place, St John – HO107/1479/496/7
Ellen Clancy 50 Widow born Ireland, Keeps a Stall
Ann Shehan 35 Sister Widow b Ireland
Jerry/Terry Bryan 7 Nephew born St Giles, London

Not found William in 1851 yet, but still looking!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Morning all, @ Jotmot, did you find that information on Ancestry?  I can't seem to locate it through the 1841 records?  It does look like a strong match but would be good to see the entry. The wedding certificate of William from 1858 does not state Deceased for James Clancy but I understand it may not have been commons practice to write that then.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 November 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have transcribed it as Chancy and the image isn't great quality so I've attached a slightly better one.

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 November 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jomot, that is to me a strong link and I appreciate the better quality Scan.  Thanks for your help, I guess there is no other 'good place' to look for James' marriage  - Ellen's maiden name etc other than crawling through Ancestry and Find my past?