Author Topic: Abingdon - LEY  (Read 4728 times)

Offline valan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Abingdon - LEY
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 January 12 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much - that's doubly kind of you.
Kind regards
Valan

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi: 

There was also a Jane Ley baptised in 1799 for this famly.  I too am searching for the Lay family, but not this one. 

I also found a case that was in the Court of Common Pleas when Dr. Hugh Ley died and there was a court case over the will.  Not sure if you have seen it.  Its dated Apr 30 1841. 

Interesting stuff, I wish it were my family!

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline valan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 12 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for that. I see your connection is Lay. I am very interested in Dr. Hugh Ley who was may ggg grandfather. Could you please tell me how I can see this case.
Many thanks
Valan

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 February 12 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

Its on google books. In google search type in Edwin Ley  Court of Common Pleas.  It should pop up.  You can also order Dr. Ley's will from the Archives online at Kew.  I think they charge 3 pounds or so to download it.

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline annierob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Valan,

I have only just seen your reply (horrifically slow of me I know!). As I mentioned, my gggg grandfather is John Morgan Ley (b.12/05/1794, d.15/02/1864), Edwin Ley's older brother.
From my records, I have Edwin Ley b.1802 in Abingdon Oxfordshire, d.1865 Jetwells Cornwall. "Manager of East Cornwall Bank. Succeeded to the landed property in Paul and St. Ives left by James Halse, M.P. 1838. Employment Magistrate, Deputy Warden of Stannaries of Cornwall, Landed Proprietor. Buried Penzance Cemetery 11th April 1865". I also have the will of John Morgan Ley, in which Edwin Ley is mentioned.

In regard to your queries about Hugh Ley, I have him b.1790 Abingdon, d.1837 Stilton, Huntingdonshire. There was an obituary for him in the Gentleman's Magazine:
"Hugh Ley, M.D., whose death is recorded in our last number, p.331, was born at Abingdon, in Berkshire, in the year 1790. He was the son of Dr. Ley, who afterwards practiced at Penzance, in Cornwall, where he died in the year 1826. He was descended of an old and highly respectable family in the West of England, which is divided into several branches, all derived from a common stalk; one branch was ennobled in the person of the distinguished lawyer, James Ley, of Teffont Evias, Wilts, who was successively Chief Justice in Ireland and in England, and ultimately Lord High Treasurer. He was created a Baronet; then raised to the Peerage, by the title of Baron Ley, of Ley, in the county of Devon; and was lastly created, by King Charles the First, Earl of Marlborough.
Dr Ley was educated at Abingdon, under the celebrated classical scholar Dr Lempriere, and, being intended for the medical profession, studied assiduously at the Borough hospitals, and was admitted a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, but afterwards went to Edinburgh, and graduated in the year 1813; having first published and inaugural Dissertation, "De Natura intima Phthiseos Pulmonalis" in which exhibited much research and discrimination. On his return to London he was elected one of the Physicians of the Westminster Lying-In hospital, in the room of Dr Thynne, deceased, and in due time was admitted a Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians. Subsequently to this, he became associated with Dr Merriman, in giving lectures on midwifery and the diseases of women and children, at the Middlesex hospital, and was appointed Assistant Obstetric Physician to that institution; and on the resignation of the office by Dr Merriman, he was unanimously elected Physician in his stead.
There are several very valuable papers in the London Medical Gazette, by Dr Ley. His only separate publication is "An Essay on Laryngismus Stridulus, Or Croup-like Inspiration on Infants, together with a dissertation on the Pathology of the Nerves". In this essay he places in a new point of view the nature of an obscure and doubtful disease; it is indeed a work abounding with practical information, and demonstrating in every page the acumen and sagacity for which the author was justly esteemed. But it was in the lecture room that Dr Ley shone forth most conspicuously, as few have ever possessed greater powers of language, or greater clearness in the arrangement of his matter. Of him it may be said with truth, "Erat in verborum splendore elegans, compositione aptus, facultate copiosus."
Dr Ley was appointed to the Obstetric Chair at St Bartholomew's Hospital, in the autumn of 1835, and speedily acquired the respect and regard of his class, who will long regret his untimely end, as will numerous friends and patients, to whom his kindness and attention, his skill and judgement, greatly endeared him.
Dr Ley was married, but left no children. He died of an affectation of the heart, consequent upon acute rheumatism. His professional character was deservedly high, and without blemish; his conduct and sentiments on all subjects were those of a gentleman."

Do get in touch if you would like to know more!
Best,
Annie
LEY-GREY-WOODVILLE-CAPELL-GRANTHAM-COOK-JAGO-MICHELL

Offline valan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
What a lovely surprise. Thank you so much for the info. Didn't know Edwin Ley was a Banker in his early years.
Thank you once more for taking the trouble to send me the info.
It has been so long since I went on RootsChat I hope I have sent this reply in the proper way.
Kind regards
Valan