Author Topic: Clissold Handicap  (Read 599 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clissold Handicap
« on: Saturday 11 November 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for information on the beginning of the Clissold Handicap Race.  I believe it is in honour of a George Clissold who started Canterbury Racecourse.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Clissold Handicap
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Are you referring to the Canterbury Racecourse in Sydney, New South Wales?  If so, perhaps you could add NSW to your thread's title.

I think the Australian Turf Club owns that racecourse.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 17 01:36 GMT (UK) »
From wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_Stakes

Clissold Handicap Race
The registered race name is named after Frederick William Clissold, former director and founding member of Canterbury Park Racing Club, who died in 1941, one year after the inaugural running of the race bearing his name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterbury_Park_Racecourse
Canterbury Park Racecourse is a racecourse for horse racing in Sydney, New South Wales.
The first horse racing in Canterbury was in 1852 when Cornelius Proud cleared part of his property for use as a racecourse, this was used regularly by locals. In 1871, after a few years with no race meetings being held, Frederick Clissold and Thomas Austen Davis held a race meeting on land that had been leased by Davis close to the existing racecourse. In 1884 the site was leased as the headquarters of Canterbury Park Race Club. A racetrack, 700 person grandstand and recreational park was constructed and held its first meeting on the 19th January 1884.[3] In 1886, 53 acres of the leased land was purchased by Davis for use by the club.

The Sydney Turf Club (STC) acquired the racecourse and held its first meeting in January 1945. The STC held the racecourse until 2011 when the Sydney Turf Club and Australian Jockey Club merged to become the Australian Turf Club. The Australian Turf Club are the current owners and operators of Canterbury Park Racecourse

I had family living across the road from the racecourse before WWII. Haven't before looked at the history - so thanks for asking the question.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 17 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Majm,  Thank. for your help.  I should have said Canterbury, N.S.W. Australia.  I appreciate your help

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 17 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Westward, Such a great lot of information. Thank you.  We were always told it was George Clissold.  I. now see that it was Frederick William Clissold.  That has cleared up some of my questions.  Much appreciated.