Author Topic: Am I still a Beginner/Replies to messages  (Read 4007 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am I still a Beginner/Replies to messages
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 November 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
And if you do post somewhere and then have 2nd thoughts, use the 'report to moderator' button and the moderating team can relocate it to somewhere more appropriate.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jennamar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 November 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I too have found all the great advice from experienced Rootschat users extremely helpful. And yes, I may be just a bit cheeky here and posting in the forum so I can receive my chat-wings.  If there is a 7 in brackets after Chat on my page, does that mean there people waiting to communicate with me? Its awkward being the newby..... but exciting too.  ;)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 November 17 04:53 GMT (UK) »

If there is a 7 in brackets after Chat on my page, does that mean there people waiting to communicate with me? Its awkward being the newby..... but exciting too.  ;)

Hi Jennamar,

Welcome to Rootschat.

In answer to your question, the answer is no.   It means that at the time there were 7 people in the Chat Room.

Post one more time, and you will be able to enter the Chat Room if you like and the Personal Message System (the little scroll on the left hand side) will be activated to use. 

We all stared off being Newbies, so we know what it feels like being new to a board :D

Cheers
KHP

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 November 17 05:00 GMT (UK) »
It's your choice which reply option you use, the blue Reply gives more options such as similes, coloured text and such like which Quick Reply doesn't have.

What's Quick Reply?  I've only ever had a blue/green Reply button ??? ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 November 17 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Dawn,

Go to your Profile, then Look and Layout, and the option is the 2nd to last one "Use quick reply on topic display", and use the drop down box to activate it, show on default.  When you have made the change, click on the change profile tab, the quick reply box is below the Reply button.

Cheers
KHP

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 November 17 07:15 GMT (UK) »
It's your choice which reply option you use, the blue Reply gives more options such as similes, coloured text and such like which Quick Reply doesn't have.

What's Quick Reply?  I've only ever had a blue/green Reply button ??? ??? ???

Dawn M

You're not alone Dawn - I wasn't aware of it either. It is possible I have seen it some time in the past and not bothered with it.  :)

Offline 3Kittycats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 November 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for all the good advise. Felt a little stupid that I was so challenged but seeing that I saw something that others have  ??? about made me feel good.

Brings up another question. When you reply either by Reply, which I am using now, or Quick Reply, I think the message is just attached under the last response received. How would you reply to a single individual?

Gotta go shopping for a turkey for Thanksgiving and am thankful that I have met so many caring, sharing folks in the past few weeks.

Phillips,  Silvester, Sherlock, Bayliss, Tromans, Price

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 November 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi...click the "Quote" button and the message box will appear with the message that you want to respond to and write your message lower down, then send.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 November 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »

Gotta go shopping for a turkey for Thanksgiving and am thankful that I have met so many caring, sharing folks in the past few weeks.

I presume that means you are in the US? It is useful to put that on your profile, so that when people are looking for things they don't tell you to go to the local register office etc.