Author Topic: I have important documents and I want your help  (Read 11864 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: I have important documents and I want your help
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks N J,

I had the same PM but unfortunately the doc was/is too small to read but in any case it's not the type of document which would give a nationality never mind whether he held a British Passport  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
You appear to be trying to find out if your grandfather was ever granted British Citizenship. None of the documents on this message board so far would suggest that he did.  One document is a Canadian document, so unconnected with British nationality, and another is a UK Aliens Registration card which indicates that when it was issued in 1925, he definitely wasn’t a British Citizen.

The Home Office would normally have a record of someone acquiring British Citizenship. You could enquire from them whether he was ever granted it.  (Normally you had to live in the UK for a certain number of years before you could apply. If he died in 1928, having only been in the country for 3 years it’s possible he hadn’t yet qualified. But I really don’t know).

If you are hoping to obtain British Citizenship yourself, based on your grandfather possibly having citizenship, my understanding is that in the UK it does not pass down 2 generations. But you would be best to take advice from a lawyer or advice body specializing in immigration law on that.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
It's usually best to work back step by step to find records.

If Chief Ahmed was your grandfather then who was your grandmother? Was your (father?/mother?) one of the children born South Shields? (remember not to post details of anyone who might still be living).

If your grandparents were not married to each other and your parent was illegitimate it might be harder to find details to prove any connection.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gaming

• RootsChat Extra
  • I expected your separation difficult my father
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
You appear to be trying to find out if your grandfather was ever granted British Citizenship. None of the documents on this message board so far would suggest that he did.  One document is a Canadian document, so unconnected with British nationality, and another is a UK Aliens Registration card which indicates that when it was issued in 1925, he definitely wasn’t a British Citizen.

The Home Office would normally have a record of someone acquiring British Citizenship. You could enquire from them whether he was ever granted it.  (Normally you had to live in the UK for a certain number of years before you could apply. If he died in 1928, having only been in the country for 3 years it’s possible he hadn’t yet qualified. But I really don’t know).

If you are hoping to obtain British Citizenship yourself, based on your grandfather possibly having citizenship, my understanding is that in the UK it does not pass down 2 generations. But you would be best to take advice from a lawyer or advice body specializing in immigration law on that.

thank you brother
My father is still alive
Find More Posts by
We want to search for information
To know a lot

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
If your father is still alive (DO NOT post his details here) then do you or does he know the name of his mother?

Offline Gaming

• RootsChat Extra
  • I expected your separation difficult my father
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
It's usually best to work back step by step to find records.

If Chief Ahmed was your grandfather then who was your grandmother? Was your (father?/mother?) one of the children born South Shields? (remember not to post details of anyone who might still be living).

If your grandparents were not married to each other and your parent was illegitimate it might be harder to find details to prove any connection.

thank you brother
My father is still alive
Find More Posts by
We want to search for information
To know a lot
I know about my father talking about her father
He said he stayed for about 8-10 years
He was employed in Royal Navy
For the transport of goods and passengers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
In order for us to help you find more information you need to read each post very carefully and answer the questions we are asking (if you don't know the answer it's okay to say so but please do not keep repeating the same thing instead).

So,

1) was your father raised in South Shields area, in England or elsewhere?
2) was his mother Mary Jane Williamson?
3) did his father die in 1928?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Another PM shows an Alien Registration document; I have no experience with these but do not think they show British citizenship.

Is anyone familiar with these documents and can explain what they are for?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
A citizen would not have been registered as an alien. Without more details difficult to say but perhaps dates from the time of WWI?