Author Topic: Richard Dutton's Wife  (Read 691 times)

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Dutton's Wife
« on: Monday 20 November 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Cicely Dutton born in Ormskirk in Oct 1755 to Richard Dutton and Sarah (?) was my Great Grandmother x 5.
She went on to marry John Gaskell in 1787, although I know she had a son John before her marriage. I'm interested if anybody can throw some light onSarah's maiden name and when and if she married Richard, or any other information about Richard or Sarah, Cicely's elusive mother.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Dutton's Wife
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if there was more than 1 couple Richard & Sarah in the parish? The day after Cicely's baptism, in October 1755,  Alice, daughter of Richard & Sarah was also baptised. Were they twins?
1st baptism of a child of Richard & Sarah at Ormskirk seems to have been James, 1743. A Richard & Sarah Dutton had a son baptised at Rufford 1740. Burial of a Sarah, wife of Richard, 1764, Ormskirk. (LAN OPC).
If there was only 1 Richard & Sarah their marriage must have been 1743 or before (or 1740 or before if the couple at Rufford were same people). Both dates pre Hardwicke Marriage Act.
I couldn't see a baptism of Richard at Ormskirk, so he may have come from elsewhere.
Cowban

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find their marriage but the OPRs for the baptisms below. I note there was another Richard, wife Ellen (Vose) in Ormskirk at the same time, they married in 1735

Baptisms Ormskirk Richard & Sarah

Abode    Burs(cough)
James Dutton   24 Jul 1743
Elizabeth Dutton   17 Dec 1749
John Dutton   1 Sep 1751
Alice Dutton   29 Oct 1755
Cicely Dutton   29 Oct 1755

Sarah wife of Richard burial 30 Dec 1764 St Peter and St Paul , Ormskirk, abode Burs(cough)

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I think that Alice and Cicely may well have been twins, as an Alice Gaskell crops up later and remains a family name for several generations. Sadly no more information about Sarah's ancestry which is where I hoped to go.

Offline peterg42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I have found a record of the marriage of a Richardus Dutton to Sara Robinson in Bebington (Wirral) on 25th Nov 1739. Bebbington is not too far from Ormskirk (by today's standards) and the date lookls right. Anybody care to comment, please?

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the image it just gives the names and date. Unfortunately no mention of where they are from. However I have a couple who married in Cheshire in the 170s and she was from Rufford and also a couple who lived in Cheshire in the same period but for some unknown reason chose to marry in Liverpool so anything's possible. Sorry not to have been more helpful.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I have found a record of the marriage of a Richardus Dutton to Sara Robinson in Bebington (Wirral) on 25th Nov 1739. Bebbington is not too far from Ormskirk (by today's standards) and the date lookls right. Anybody care to comment, please?
Both had such common names it's impossible to judge.
Have you looked for any children of a Richard Dutton around Bebington, baptised 1739 or after?
Cowban