Author Topic: Charles Deacon or Charles Alfred deacon  (Read 971 times)

Offline Moonstar36

• RootsChat Member
  • Yogi, 1986-2003 (His brother was Boo!)
    • View Profile
Charles Deacon or Charles Alfred deacon
« on: Friday 24 November 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Sometime ago I asked for help with the daughter of this person and got some very helpful info. I was unable though to come back with a m/c for her parents and was at a loss as to why I could not find anything. Anyway, I thought sometime later lets try again and remembered a scrap piece of paper that I had scribbled on many many many years ago from notes given me by my Mum before she died and which was the thing that started me on this   ... the word diamond and South Africa were scrawled in the bottom right hand corner and I couldn't recall what Mum had said other than Diamond mine, large diamond in Treasury! Images come to mind of lottery wins and a jackpot!  ;D Anyway with those silly thoughts I decided I must solve this puzzle. So unusually I scrawled through the Public family trees on Ancestry. Imagine my surprise when I found someone with the same name as my GGM who had a similar tree and details. I wrote to her and got a reply and found my third cousin...in Africa! I was then able to find my missing piece of this puzzle a m/c which she kindly sent me a copy.
Now onto my query...with this I then knew Charles Deacon had married Margaret Redshaw and were the parents of my GM, Margaret Mercy Deacon. I also knew that Charles was definitely a soldier and census data found here was thus correct.
However, I have since found another tree which follows mine but the person has a different Charles, a Charles Alfred Deacon. His DOB was similar and on checking the Northampton registers I find two Charles

Charles Deacon born abt 1855, baptised 12 April 1855 parents William and ELIZABETH (who may have maiden name Walker) but no actual date of birth. Parish St Edmund

Charles Alfred deacon born 11 June 1853 and bap July 1853. Parish St Giles.

Charles (the first one shows up in several census with varying years of birth ranging from 1853 to 1855 and on his discharge papers leads us to believe he was born in 1853. Also varying parishes St Giles/St Edmunds and St Andrews) His parents seem to have passed on early and he and a possible brother John end up in Union Workhouse at age 6 (father was a soldier)
The second Charles -  Charles Alfred looks as though he may have died in the same year in October and the address is similar and if it is him he did indeed have a brother called William who also died a week before). His parent however are Frederick and Martha.

Can anyone help me feel reassured that the first Charles is the right one for my line and that the second one with whom there appears to be an infant death is likely to be the second Charles - Charles Alfred and in fact died therefore the wrong Charles for my line..

I hope I managed to make sense of this???
If so it means I can now proceed with searching for William and Ann with the details I have so far and thus onto their parents:)
If I am wrong I would rather know and not make assumptions and get back on track :) :)
Ross, McComas & Munro - Ross & Cromarty, Redshaw, Palfreeman, Robson & Marshall -Yorkshire, Broun/Brown & Mackenzie - West Lothian, Wood - Kent, Hartley- Lancs, Deacon - Northants

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Deacon or Charles Alfred deacon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Births Sep 1853 
DEACON    Charles Alfred        Northampton    3b   46 - mmn Dingley

Deaths Dec 1853 
Deacon    Charles Alfred        Northampton    3b   32 aged 0

Births Jun 1886   
Deacon    Margaret Mercy        Preston    8e   672  mmn Redshaw
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 05:57 GMT (UK) »
I think it has been quite well established by the chatters, Carole, Sandy and others on your old 2009 topic, that Charles Alfred DEACON, mms DINGLEY  was a birth and infant death in 1853.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=412051.18

If so it means I can now proceed with searching for William and Ann with the details I have so far and thus onto their parents:)

Ann? Is is not 'Elizabeth', who is possibly your Charles DEACON's mother?

Reply # 7
From the N.M.I.
Northampton St. Giles
07 Jul 1850
William DEACON otp, (Bouverie Street), bachelor, full age, fitter, father John, smith to
Elizabeth WALKER otp, (Bouverie Street), spinster, age 19, father Thomas, shoemaker

On the 1851 Census For Mansfield Notts.
H.O.107/2124 Pg 18, Folio 298, Sch 78, Cock Pitt

Edward Walls, Head, Mar, 31, Painter, Nottingham
with his family and also
William Deacon , Visitor, M, 22, Smith Filer, Northampton
Elizabeth, Wife, 20, Northampton
Mary Ann, Dau, 7mo, Northampton

I can not find this family on the 1861
Sandy

Reply #22
Baptism
April 12th 1855 Charles to William & Elizabeth Deacon, Union House, (Workhouse) Soldier.
Sandy

;) Take care to refer and link back to pertinent old topics when continuing searches for you line, to avoid duplication of effort  for people assisting your search.

On the South African marriage cert for your Charles DEACON to Margaret Mercy REDSHAW,  was his father's name and occupation recorded?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Moonstar36

• RootsChat Member
  • Yogi, 1986-2003 (His brother was Boo!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
My apologies to all and to you Ambly, I wasn't meaning to cause any duplication or unnecessary effort or work.

Thank you for replying and affirming this Charles... yes it is Elizabeth, I have said that in the details but for some reason wrote Ann in the last paragraph????? I have no idea why. I can only think I am already suffering the senility of my years  :-[

Regarding the m/c for Charles and Margaret, no the certificate copy I have does not give father names or professions for either.
Ross, McComas & Munro - Ross & Cromarty, Redshaw, Palfreeman, Robson & Marshall -Yorkshire, Broun/Brown & Mackenzie - West Lothian, Wood - Kent, Hartley- Lancs, Deacon - Northants