Author Topic: Thomas Richardson & Amelia Potts  (Read 861 times)

Offline Rustyruss30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Richardson & Amelia Potts
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m having trouble  Thomas Richardson & Amelia Potts Baptism / birth year & their deaths /burials.
I have their marriage and licence, 3 Aug 1796 Wybunbury Cheshire they were both 21 for the license and Thomas was a servant at Doddington hall Wybunbury but no mother or father named. I Have looked 1775 for baptism / birth in Cheshire nothing coming up. I already know the daughter Margaret Richardson and got her information.
If anyone can help I'll be grateful

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Richardson & Amelia Potts
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 02:28 GMT (UK) »
There is 2 for Thomas on FreeReg,,,

24 Jul 1771. Parish of Tarporley.  father John,  mother Catherine.
24 Aug 1777. Parish of Tarporley. father John,  mother Catherine.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Richardson & Amelia Potts
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 02:44 GMT (UK) »
The difficulty in tracking servants is that they are not always local people (especially if they had a particular skill, such as coachmen).

I had a quick look on the National Archive website for Doddington Hall, but most of the archived papers seem to be legal rather than personal documents, so they probably wouldn't be helpful.

If Thomas was servant to the Delves Broughton family it could be worth checking the 1841 and 1851 censuses to see if either Thomas or Amelia are with the family.  The 1841 census only marks births In County or Not In County, but the 1851 census gives birthplaces. (This would be much easier than hunting through several hundred Richardsons!)

Don't rely too much on the age of 21 on the marriage license - allow a few years each side in your search.

Sorry I haven't provided answers, but I hope I have given a possible line to tug.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk