Author Topic: Frances Johnson b. abt 1805  (Read 671 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Frances Johnson b. abt 1805
« on: Thursday 07 December 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Frances was my 3x g.grandmother. 

She married Thomas Wilkinson (son of Joseph and Mary) on 18 Mar 1822 at Holy Trinity, Coventry and was buried (age 26 according to the burial register) on 25 Mar 1832 at Exhall.  She and Thomas had four children (Mary, Thomas, Ann and Elizabeth, the latter being baptised on the day of her mother's burial  :'( ).

I've struggled to get any further back with Frances and wondered if anyone could suggest any likely suspects, please?

Thanks
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Johnson b. abt 1805
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The nearest I can see is this
Frances d of Francis and Mary Johnson 5 th June 1805 at Sheldon St Giles.
Sister Mary Ann 28th Feb 1804.
Brothers Richard 13th  Jan 1800 and William age 2.

Francis Johnson widower of Bickenhill  married Mary Newberry  spinster at Sheldon 29th Sep 1797 by licence.
Wit John and Mary Newberry.

Francis left a Will  in 1817 at Newton Regis Warwickshire.
Farmer and Grazier .
He mentions his wife Mary who gets personel effects for life or till she remarries,then£50 on her wedding.
After her death or marriage they go to children William ,Richard ,Mary and Frances to be divided equally.
Children Matilda Court £120
Exec William and John Newberry brother's in laws of Sheldon
These exec can also sell estate and convert it for use of the heirs if they think proper.

Will made 7th Nov 1812 at Attleborough and proven at Coventry.

Francis was buried at Newton Regis 5th Oct 1816 age 62 (Apparently his gravestone still exists.)
Wife Mary buried  8.6.1834 age 71 and again her gravestone has survived.

Daughter Mary Ann married 11.6.1818 by licence age 16 to Lawrence Haywood of Tamworth,Stafford age 21 or over with permission of John Newberry guardian of Sheldon.

Son Richard buried 14 Nov 1827 age 28 .   Again his grave has survived.

Son William seems to have married a Sussanna and two daughters Mary and Ann are buried in 19th July 1820.

Martha had married George Court of Yardley at Bickenhill by licence in 23 Aug 1807
wit Edward and Elizabeth Elvins.
It looks like Martha was baptised at Coventry HT 25th Dec 1783 d of Francis and Sarah of Wilenhall.

Her Father and mother married by licence 3rd Nov 1778 .Francis of HT and Sarah Brown of Kenilworth.
Wit Thomas Johnson and Thomas Sedgwick.

I'd go fro a baptism for Francis at Holy Trinity Coventry
Francis Smith Johnson 13 Jan 1755 s of Francis and Mary Johnson

Francis senior's Admin is granted to his wife Mary 8.4.1774 and he is described as a yeoman of the City of Coventry.
This could be their marriage at Bubbenhall
Francis Johnson of Willinghall and Mary Boston 16th Jan 1741

Other children HT-Dorothy 27.10.1742,Mary 30.9.1744,Elizabeth 1.3.1752 and Samuel 21.10.1757.

I hope that gives you something to follow up.

Ciderdrinker

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow, what a lot of info.  :)  Thank you.

Francis seems a bit well-to-do for my lot, to be honest, who never seemed to have two halfpennies to rub together, although I do agree that it's the only likely on-line match for Frances's parentage.

Thomas Wilkinson was a weaver (according to the marriage certificates of his daughters Mary and Ann), so I'm wondering how likely it would be that Francis would marry off his 16/17yr old daughter to a weaver, especially as it doesn't appear that Frances was pregnant at the time (unless she was, and miscarried or something).

Where did you access the details of Francis' will, please?  Also, don't understand the bit that says "Children Matilda Court £120".  Is it that the other daughters named are unmarried, whereas when Francis made his will Matilda was already married to Mr Court and that the £120 was divided between his five children? 

STG  :)

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 December 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Will is on FindMyPast.
Martha his daughter from Francis's first marriage (born 1783) has already married George Court by the time he makes the Will.
She gets the full £120  but not a share in the rest of the estate after his second wife's death or remarriage.
The other daughters Mary and Frances are yet to marry.
Sorry about that.

Ciderdrinker