Author Topic: How rare were tattoos before 1930?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How rare were tattoos before 1930?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
My paternal great grandfather was born in 1857 and joined the Royal Navy in 1876. His description on his record say he had tattoos on his legs, wrists and chest. I don't know if the description of his appearance was on enrolling or later.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
When I was a child in the 1940s/50s, the only people who had tattoos were sailors and people who'd been in prison.

Perhaps I should change that to the only people I'd heard of who had tattoos were sailors and prisoners, but then again as a young child I didn't meet any sailors or prisoners.  ;D

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 December 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, along with many other soldiers had a tattoo of Edith Cavell when they heard the news of her death in WW1. It was the first of several tattoo's, it being somewhat addictive.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 December 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My Irish grandfather was army (born 1907) he joined up in the second half of the 1920's ( and spent the rest of his working career in the army, through second ww and peace keeping in Asia) He retired sometime in the 1960's, early 70s ( spent his twilight army years (working,not prisoner! ) in The Glasshouse,  and then finally army stores), by this time he was in Colchester ( moved the family over in the late 50s)

He was absolutely covered in tattoos, both arms . I know he had them in the 1940's during the war (mum can rembember them when she was a tiny girl in the 40s) I don't know what era he got them, but assumed he had them quite early on in his career, late 1920s or sometime in the 1930s
Found this  interesting article about a ww1 tattooist on my google travels http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-28359624
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
If you can get hold of a book written 1998, called "Convict Love Tokens : the Leaden Hearts the Convicts Left Behind" by Michelle Field & others, it has a chapter on the tattoos that early convicts in Australia (who were mostly of British origin) had.   The review I'm looking at quotes a reference from our local library, so presumably Dewey, of:  ANF 737.30941.CON.  And an ISBN of:
1 86254 434 4

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)