Author Topic: John Dolby [aka Dalby] born about 1807 in Spalding, Lincolnshire - death details  (Read 1971 times)

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Dolby [aka Dalby] born about 1807 in Spalding, Lincolnshire - death details
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 December 17 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

I have just signed up with Ancestry UK for the 'World Package' & have investigated the USA a bit. I can find no evidence that he went back to the UK [no voyages by ship]. However a John Dolby died in Pittsfield, Massachusetts on 20 Oct 1881 & significantly he was born in 1806 in the record of his death, so there is a possibility that it might be our barber, [but he was a labourer in the death record]

What do you think?

Kind regards

Michael

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Dolby [aka Dalby] born about 1807 in Spalding, Lincolnshire - death details
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 December 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Have just come across this thread while trying to discover more of my great grandmother Barnett's family in Lin cs., including Pattern, Booth, Ingram, Twiddy, Mayne, Reader. My great grandfather worked for Charles Dolby of Spalding from 1860 to 1864 and let to him what was then a smallholding called The Manor House. Charles Dolby 1792- 1868 was an auctioneer and land agent; father was Thomas Dalby, mother was Mary, dtr of Henry Booth and Mary; wife was Ann Markillie, who appears to have hailed from London. 
Henry Booth was also father of Susanna and grandfather of Henry Booth Barnett and grt grandfather of Ann who married my grt grandfather William Hollinshed Brady.
Could well be related through Thomas Dalby.
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland