Author Topic: Help researching eveline shulman  (Read 18998 times)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #117 on: Monday 18 December 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
What an amazing amount of info has been found for you Dorothy.

Stuff you would never have found for yourself.

It always surprises me how all of us Rootschatters approach a query from a different angle and all find different bits of info.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Monday 18 December 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
dorothyl, what is it that  you think you have found?
Is it the 1905 Whitechapel births?

SHULMAN, EVE       JACOBS  1905  J Quarter in WHITECHAPEL  Volume 01C  Page 271   
SHULMAN, EVELYN       LEVY      1905  S Quarter in WHITECHAPEL  Volume 01C  Page 234

They both have corresponding entries in 1911, so I'd discount them.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWPM-XHN  (Evie, dau of Emanuel and Jane)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWGB-6XN (Eve, dau of Macks & Yiobin)

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 18 December 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite sure what you think you've found - aren't all of those hints rather than facts? They need checking carefully to see if they are your Evelyn.

You have been given a lot of very interesting information on this thread, probably a lot to take in. I would suggest that you print it out so that you can go through it and highlight all the relevant details.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 18 December 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Annie's age was 4 years out on her death registration.
June 1937 Hyde 8a 118
Johnson, Annie   
age 55

She would have been 59.

Probate Calendar
Annie Johnson of 9 Higher Henry-street Hyde Cheshire (wife of Bertram Johnson)
died 1 April 1937
Administration Manchester 19 May to the said Bertram Johnson bolier fireman.
Effects £858 15s. 9d.

That address is the same as on Bertram's death certificate (which is on the tree found by Dundee)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 04:37 GMT (UK) »
I know it doesn't really help to find Eveline's birth, but the birth registration for David Schulman (which hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet) appears to be in Prestwich (8d/395): David SHOOLMAN, mother's maiden name BARAITZ.

As another theory, I wonder if Eva Barrett SCHULMAN is the illegitimate daughter of one of David's sisters - maybe Dora or Rachel?

Modified to add: Sorry, forgot to put David 's birth registered March qtr 1883.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Great find maddys52. I failed miserably trying to find David and Samuel, whose place of birth is recorded as Manchester in 1891. Looks like Samuel was born Harris Shoolman in Prestwich in 1886. Mmn is Barrow ( another version of Baraitz!).
I think Dora was actually registered as Rebecca Shuleman in 1890 in St George's, Edinburgh.
It is possible that Eva was her daughter or of another of Davids' sisters, but there is no obviously matching birth recorded under the name Shulman in Scotland. 1911 census says Eva was born in Aberdeen.
Sadly, it may be impossible to ever identify who Eva Barrett Shulman was or confirm that she is definitely one and the same with Eveline. Eveline may later have used the surname Hill because she knew that was her true birth name. I am more inclined to think that she just didn't want to put a German - sounding name on the birth certificate ( given that this was very shortly before the start of WW2).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I've spent a lot of time searching for information and clues (as have several others here) and it's a bit disappointing that Dorothy doesn't seem interested in finding living relatives (see reply #108). I know that another Rootschatter had previous found other relatives for her but not sure if any contact was attempted. It's possible, of course, that by now there's no one left alive who known the whole, or even part of, the origins of Eveline but DNA testing might be useful in confirming or ruling out any links.

It seems as though David Shulman had only 2 sisters who could have been Eveline's mother. One thing that hasn't been questioned so far is who actually raised Eveline? If she's the adopted child in 1911 census (as she probably was) then did she stay with Annie after David died? Religion hasn't really been mentioned on this thread but as the Shulmans were Polish Jews and Annie O'Brien was likely Irish Catholic then the differences in religion and culture could have caused problems.

Here's a very brief outline of Shulman family so far (more details to follow after groceries unpacked, hovering done, etc.)-

Benjamin Shulman (c1862 Poland/Russia-1931 Manchester No.) m. Dina(h) Barrett/Baritz (c1857-1897 Canongate); m.(1898 Newcastle) Minnie Solomon (c1872 Poland/Russia-1916 Prestwich, Manchester)
1. David Shulman (1883-1921 Eng.) m.(14 Dec.1908 St. Machar, Scot.) Annie O’Brien. She m.(16 Apr.1921 Chorlton) Bertram Johnson (1892-1964)- he m.(24 Dec.1938 at Ashton under Lyme) Phyllis Miles.
2. Samuel/Harris Shulman (1886-1923 Liverpool)
3. Hannah Shulman (1888 Cheetham-1891 St. George)
4. Dora Shulman (1890 St. George/Edinburgh-aft.1911) registered as Rebecca Shuleman
5. Rachel Shulman (1892 St. George/Edinburgh-aft.1911) registered as Shuleman
6. Solomon Barnett/Bernard Shulman (15 Sept.1894 St. George/Edinburgh-11 Nov.1950 New Rochelle, Westchester, N.Y.) m.(1922 Liverpool- as Barnett S. Shuleman) Sarah E. Sondak/Simon
7. Eva Shulman (1897 Canongate-1898 Newington)
8. Esther Shulman (c1899 Edinburgh-aft.1911)
9. Sarah Shulman (1900 Edinburgh-aft.1911)
10. Abraham Arthur Shulman (1902 Cheetham) m.(1934 Salford, Manchester) Rosa Michalovitz Raffles

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 05 January 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Groceries unpacked (and probably long consumed), hovering done and redone several times... and still no response from OP which is disappointing after we've worked so hard to sort out this family  :-\

Had found lots more details (aside from living relative to contact) but won't bother to post any more of it here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Friday 05 January 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
According to her profile, the OP was active on RC on the 2nd January. What a pity she hasn’t acknowledged the hard work that people have put in on this thread.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk