Author Topic: Divorce papers from Kew c.1894  (Read 1131 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce papers from Kew c.1894
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 December 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know how detailed the papers are at Kew for Divorce records?

I have found the handwritten entry of a divorce in 1894 with names of Appellant, Respondent and Co-respondent, and the case number, which is on Ancestry, but unfortunately not the reasons or precise dates.  As an ancestor was born that year, it could be important.
The details are on Ancestry - John Joseph Bowman was applying for dissolution of his marriage on the grounds of his wife's adultery with William Hanley while he had been serving a prison sentence. He claimed a female child had been born to his wife on or around 28th Feb 1894 and that William Hanley was the father.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Lost In Space

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 December 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know how detailed the papers are at Kew for Divorce records?

I have found the handwritten entry of a divorce in 1894 with names of Appellant, Respondent and Co-respondent, and the case number, which is on Ancestry, but unfortunately not the reasons or precise dates.  As an ancestor was born that year, it could be important.
The details are on Ancestry - John Joseph Bowman was applying for dissolution of his marriage on the grounds of his wife's adultery with William Hanley while he had been serving a prison sentence. He claimed a female child had been born to his wife on or around 28th Feb 1894 and that William Hanley was the father.
Isobel

Thanks Isobel.  I had no details on my search of him being in prison, or date of birth of child.  I went through the whole list too.  I found the details on Findmypast, but not the details you found.  Thanks once again. Tracey
Fullman, Burt, Jones, Coughlan, Raven, Parris, Deamer, Winmill.
Kelly, Taylor, Hewitt, McNally, Sindrey, Ross, Bonsey, Hickie, Hope, Potter, Crawford, King.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 December 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Papers say that he was married to Elizabeth Rebecca Demar on 18th April 1892 and they had no children. He was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment in June 1892.
Looks like the Mary Ann Bowman mmn Deamer born March quarter 1894 may be the Annie that you are searching for ( ref your other thread).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 December 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
What is on Ancestry are the surviving case papers (series J77) from  the National Archives - I'm not sure there will be anything else.

It appears to be just the applicants petition - nothing to say the divorce actually happened.

He received 18 months (Wormwood Scrubs) on 2nd July 1892 for stealing a gate and a stove ( Calendar of Prisoners HO 140 - available on Findmypast), but had been in custody from 6th June.

His accomplice only got 6 months, but John had a previous conviction for housebreaking in 1890 which probably accounts for the difference. Newspaper reports say they were caught stealing metal from houses under construction in Highgate.