Author Topic: Census dates  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census dates
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 December 17 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census dates
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 December 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I was trundling through the 1851 census for Dennington in Suffolk, taken 30th March 1851. One entry for an old man on the forms said "Died April 2nd". The census was taken on 30th March but the forms probably were collected a day or 2 later. Whoever is researching the Dennington old man need not buy the death cert now lol.

Few days ago I came across a distant relation correctly enumerated on the census who died a few days later, she had her death registered before the census form was collected.
In Ireland the 1901 and 1911 census took place on the same dates as the rest of the UK England, Wales & Scotland but additional forms are available online on the Irish National Archives that we don't see in England. Thus Form B1 the House and Building return or street summary has a column "Date on which Form A was collected" the householders return. For the random individual I opened in my tree in Lurgan: for the 2 Apr 1911 the form was collected on the 12th April and for 31 Mar 1901 it was collected on 20th April. So the Form was likely kicking about the house for over 3 weeks in the earlier case, it does not record hen the form was delivered. I'm sure our ancestors were as good at procrastinating as we are, nevertheless the deceased person was correctly enumerated by her son the head of the house.