Author Topic: Request: photo of Mary Garth (nee Kershaw) gravestone - St. Chad's Rochdale  (Read 580 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Request: photo of Mary Garth (nee Kershaw) gravestone - St. Chad's Rochdale
« on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am I hoping someone may be able to look for a grave for me and take a picture of the headstone.  I am looking for the grave of Mary Garth (nee Kershaw) who died in 1838.  Her husband was John Garth (d. 1842).  Mary's burial's entry is at St. Chad's in Rochdale so I am assuming she is buried in the cemetery associated with St. Chad's.  I have not been able to find John Garth's burial entry but I am hoping they are buried together or close together.

Thank you,

Liisa
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Request: photo of Mary Garth (nee Kershaw) gravestone - St. Chad's Rochdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the church to see if there is a headstone to be photographed  :-\ 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I actually haven't.  I do have to say though, every time I contact a church in England I never get a response.  Having said that, I will write to the church.  I did try searching for monument listings at St. Chad's and wasn't able to find an online list.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I can't see St Chads monumental inscriptions listed on L.F.H.H.S web site so it is possible they have not been transcribed  :-\

I actually haven't.  I do have to say though, every time I contact a church in England I never get a response. 

I am afraid that the clergy probably don't have time to reply to family history queries but it is always worth asking.  Looking at the church on online maps there do not appear to be many gravestones there.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
This mentions that the gravestones all lie flat
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~todmordenandwalsden/St.Chads.htm#anchor1

ADDED
It would appear that burials took place in the new burial ground across the road for the period you are looking at
http://www.rochdaleparishchurches.org.uk/history/history.php