Author Topic: Did Mary Barker marry her late husband's brother?  (Read 819 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did Mary Barker marry her late husband's brother?
« on: Saturday 23 December 17 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi please can SKS help save the little bit of sanity I am clinging onto.

I have a part of my tree that lived in and around the Grimsby area.  One part of this family is John Barker bc1760 Grainsby, Lincs.  He married Mary Lowis on 5th October 1790 in Grainsby.  They had 4 children and he died in 1799.  He had a younger brother Nathaniel (bc1774 Grainsby) who had a wife Mary, their first child Francis was bapt 1802.  The only marriage that I can find for Nathaniel that fits is on the LDS and is to Mary Barker on 18th July 1801 in Hull (church is not mentioned).  Is there a way online that I can view this record to see if she was a spinster/widow and if Grainsby is mentioned.

John and Mary had a son William and Nathaniel and Mary had a son John.  Both were married in June Q1841 and were recorded on the same page and volume in Louth district.  So the two grooms could have been half brothers and cousins at the same time and could have got married on the same day in the same church.  :P

Thank you for reading,

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Did Mary Barker marry her late husband's brother?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Married by Licence.  On the marriage entry is indicates Mary is a widow (both of "this parish")  and one of the witnesses was Edward Lowis

Hope that snippet helps.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did Mary Barker marry her late husband's brother?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like my theory could be correct then.  Thank you Goughy, tiny piece of sanity salvaged  ;D
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend