Author Topic: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons  (Read 7645 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons
« on: Thursday 28 December 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
In 1855, I believe my Great x 2 Grandparents James and Elizabeth Conroy were accused along with five others of the murder of Dorothy Bewick who was their landlady.  This was referred to as the 'Matfen Murder' in the press.  They pleaded not guilty and I too believe they were not guilty.   The main motive put forward for my ancestor James committing the crime was that Dorothy and he had quarreled after she had given him notice to quit his cottage after she became fed up with his bringing back ponies and lodgers back that she disapproved of.  My ancestors (and their lodgers) were staying in a farm house in a barn during the night of the murder but it was argued during the trial that they  could have travelled back to the cottage during the night and returned after murdering Dorothy. They were defended by a QC who was a Quaker at their trial which took place over two days in Newcastle upon Tyne.  They were all ultimately acquitted.

I have my suspicions about one of their lodgers who was called Michael Allen alias Anderson as he was later deported after committing more crimes of theft and violence.  His sister Jane also appears to have continued with a life of crime. She appears to have married someone called Best.

This is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone out there may be related to the co-accused in this trial and may know what became of all of them - that is how life continued/ended for them.  Their names were Michael Allen alias Anderson; his Mother Isabella Allen alias Anderson; and his sisters Jane Anderson and Eleanor Anderson.  Their was also someone called John Simm who turned Queen's evidence.

Also, does anyone know if the actual court documents would still exist somewhere?  In the newspapers apart from my ancestor James verbalizing that he was not guilty there appears to be no further verbal evidence given by him or the others during the trial.  Were the accused in those days not allowed to speak?  Or could it be that the newspapers just omitted to report on anything they may have said in their defence?

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
You have probably seen the criminal registers on Ancestry which lists them in the
"Return of all persons committed, or Bailed to appear for trial, or Indicted at the Assizes and Genral Gaol Delivery held at the Castle of Newcastle upon Tyne on the 27th day of February 1856 shewing the nature of their Offences , and the result of the Proceedings"

Have you enquired at TWAS?  Or this guide on the NA site may be of help?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/criminal-trials-assize-courts-1559-1971/

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Boo.

Yes I have come across what is on Ancestry about them.  I don't think they have anything going this far back criminal trials at the T & W Archives, unfortunately.  I have emailed the other archives on your link provided.  I will await and see if they have anything further.

I know Michael ended up in Australia and wanted to return.  I wonder if he did?  I sort of doubt he would have been allowed to despite a letter having  sent home from him claiming that he was a reformed man. ::)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 17 16:20 GMT (UK) »
A very interesting twisty tale to follow up in your family history
there is a death recorded for a Michael Allen aged 76,born circa 1828
Southwark,Hinfmarsh North Australia,26th December 1904

or a Michael Allen death in Sydney 8th September 1885
place of birth England, born circa 1830,it seems there were a few of that name
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I could not find a death certificate for Dorothy in 1885. She may be registered in March Qtr 1856. West Maften is in Castle Ward, Northumberland Reg. District. 

http://www.cultrans.com/newspapers/cumberland-newspapers/carlisle-patriot/117-sat-october-27-1855/2019-dreadful-murder-in-northumberland

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been doing a bit of random googling and came across this (the spelling of Dorothy's surname is different but the year is 1855 so I think it is the same person)

Women in The National Archives.  VICTIMS - Murder Victims:
1855   Murder of Dorothy Berwick: pardons cannot be offered to persons in custody as an inducement to give evidence against accomplices in custody. HO 45/6246.
http://www.wtna-findingaid.amdigital.co.uk/results.aspx?SearchString=%22murder%20victim%22

Here it is on TNA website:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4729236
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Radcliff, Barry's and Jools for your posts.  I am not at home at the moment but I think Michael may be the Sydney one by his age of I am not mistaken.  I know he appears in the 1841 census in Newgate Street, in Morpeth with his family members who were also implicated in the crime plus an older sister called Elizabeth.  There is also someone called Jane Anderson.  Pure speculation but I think she may have went on to be the Mother of Isabella Miller who married James and Elizabeth's youngest son Thomas.

Many thanks for the link Jools as I had no idea this existed.  It was very kind of you to let me know about this.  Also, thanks for the link you sent too Barryd much appreciated. :)

I did not think Michael would have been allowed to come back.  A while back I wondered if my ancestors might have felt angry with Michael when they heard of his and his family's later crimes which might make most people suspect him if the murder crime.  If my ancestors had suspected him you would think they would be very angry that this man had nearly got them hanged and made their children orphans.  My great grandfather would have only been aged four at the time.  However, as they called their next child Michael who was born a year after the trial I take it that they did not suspect him.  I can't imagine that they would have called their next child Michael if they thought Michael Allen guilty.

It could be that Michael later turned to crime out of desperation of course.  In the newspapers it was reported that people would no longer but the wares of the Allens/Andersons.

It came out at the trial that my ancestor James had loaned Dorothy money at one point, so I think he knew she had no money.  The Allens alias Anderson's may not have known this.

Dorothy was not buried until 1856.  I found her burial a while back at the Newcastle library.  I have it written down somewhere at home.

I think my ancestors were written about in quite a disparaging way in the press and goodness knows how they managed to get through their jail time in Morpeth and Newcastle and carry on after the trial.  I do believe that they were not guilty.  I can't imagine that they would have been that angry with Dorothy to commit such a dreadful crime.  You would think they would have known they would automatically become suspects and they would have risked leaving their children orphans.

I thank God for the Quaker QC who helped them in their trial. If not for him then perhaps I might not have been here today if my Great Grandfather had lost his parents and had to try to possibly survive in a workhouse regime.

I have never been able to find out what happened to the children during the trial.  Although, I have read that the baby who was still breastfeeding went to court with them.  This would have been their son  John who was born on 17th March 1855.

I am sorry that Dorothy's killers have never been discovered.  She did not deserve what happened to her. :'(

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
surprised at how little money she left in her will her only sister and next of kin was Jane Robson wife of William
ref DPRI/3/1855/A206/1
North East  inheritance database
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 03:20 GMT (UK) »
or a Michael Allen death in Sydney 8th September 1885
place of birth England, born circa 1830,it seems there were a few of that name

There are quite a few newspaper reports about the death of Michael ALLEN in Sept 1885 - these are a selection:
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article237249437
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article98437374 (this one says Michael was a shoemaker)
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13597687 - report of the inquest: this says Michael was about 50 (the image is a little hard to read, but I don't think it's "30") and from Halifax, Yorkshire.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article109771807 - this one says Michael aged between 35 and 40