Author Topic: Can you help with finding an RC marriage in Chester le Street?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you help with finding an RC marriage in Chester le Street?
« on: Friday 29 December 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to find the marriage of my Grandfather's sister Mary Conroy.  She married James Armstrong in 1899 in the Chester le Street district. They were Roman Catholic.

In 1901, they were living in the town of Witton Gilbert.  I expect that where they married was likely to be close to Witton Gilbert.  Which would be nearest RC Church or Churches to this place?

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help with finding an RC marriage in Chester le Street?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 December 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
There's a useful list to browse through on the Durham Records Office website (note this also includes some Roman Catholic churches in Northumberland)
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11112?SearchType=Param&Variations=N&Denomination=Roman%20Catholic&OrderBy=NAME

Looking at the list I think the nearest to Witton Gilbert (which were open in 1899) would be those in Durham, St Michael's at Esh Laude, or St Bede at Sacriston.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen, This is most helpful and quick too in providing an answer. :)  Thanks for the link too.

Would anyone have time to do a look up at Durham archives for the marriage at either of these two Churches? 

Failing that I will try to get along to Durham myself.  It is just with work and family commitments I may not be able to travel over to Durham  until about February.

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.
Sorry, I have just realised I have posted on the wrong part.  I realise now I should have put this on look up requests.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the list I think the nearest to Witton Gilbert (which were open in 1899) would be those in Durham, St Michael's at Esh Laude, or St Bede at Sacriston.

Sorry, I didn't word this very well.

There are some possible Roman Catholic churches in Durham on the list, as well as those at Sacriston and Esh Laude.

The Banns called at St Cuthbert's Roman Catholic Church in Durham are included in the parish notes which you can see here https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-433C-H?i=5&cat=720303, but I don't think I can see the names Conroy or Armstrong among the Banns called in 1899.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh, it sounds like it may be a bigger job than I anticipated, so I may have to wait until February when I can search for this myself.

I have just reviewed my family records and my Great Uncle John was buried at St Bede after he died in a War hospital in Britain during the Great War.  He lived with Mary before going to France when she and her family were living in Sacriston. (1911)

So it could be that if this is near Witton Gilbert this may have been their family Church perhaps?

Thanks Jen, it is very kind of you post advice and links to help with my query.

Best Wishes :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
As well as St Cuthbert's Durham you can also eliminate St Michael Esh Laude from that list.
The marriages are on family search, and there is no Conroy - Armstrong marriage in 1899 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-437H-5?i=920&cat=721666

Assuming they had a church wedding (rather than Register Office  :-\ ) I think St Bede looks like the first port of call.

This is an extract from the Parish History on their website

In 1867 a Gaelic-speaking priest, Father Thomas Matthews began a series of ‘missions’ from Durham City to Sacriston and other neighbouring pit villages. Father Matthews became known as the ‘founder’, and his assistant from 1870, Father Michael Gilligan, as the ‘builder’, of St. Bede’s Parish.

Father Matthews’ mission took in not just Sacriston, but Edmondsley, Witton Gilbert, Kimblesworth and Nettlesworth too. Sacriston, however, became the central base for the mission

Unfortunately the St Bede records aren't available on Family Search.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
While I don’t know the Durham area at all sorry, RC records in many areas of England and Wales are very hard to come by, often held by the churches themselves, or by the diocesan archives. Would it not be easier to buy the certificate (would save a lot of searching at the archives and possibly a wasted journey).

Edited: the Westminster and Birmingham records (images) on FindMyPast are notable exceptions.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 December 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
While I don’t know the Durham area at all sorry, RC records in many areas of England and Wales are very hard to come by, often held by the churches themselves, or by the diocesan archives.

For the churches I mentioned the registers have all been deposited at Durham Record Office (see the list in reply #1 - the availability of registers is detailed for each church)  :)

Would it not be easier to buy the certificate (would save a lot of searching at the archives and possibly a wasted journey).

I was just wondering the same myself  :-\

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 December 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB and Deidre,

I think I might try St Bede's the next time I can get to the Durham archives.  I would be searching for other things too so it wouldn't be a wasted journey.  I would be surprised if they didn't have a Church wedding as they were both RC.  In my family tree it seems that registry office weddings only took place when one was RC and the other Church of England. 

Thanks for your advice and posts.