Author Topic: Unidentified country house  (Read 26700 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified country house
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 07 January 18 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

Some comparison pictures for clarification;

1 OPs photo (private house)
2 West Hall (may have been a hotel but now a care home)
3  Hythe showing pier (the area just the other side of the pier is now the Hythe marina where I delivered ice during the summer months)

John915

Added; The pier is the one across the centre not the one at the bottom.

Added; Thought it odd that  the term "west hill cliffs" was used. There are no cliffs at Hythe.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 07 January 18 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Just a note, the Bystander in post 25, ran between 1905 to 1940.

Offline jamie300

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 07 January 18 07:28 GMT (UK) »
The pier is 100% Totlands Bay, IOW so I wouldn't bother trying to compare it to anywhere else.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 07 January 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 07 January 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Many kind thanks for all of the help and efforts, very very much appreciated.

This search very much reminds me of a search I had to identify a house a few years ago. The family album had belonged to the Parsons family of Hastings (the newspaper publishers). However, there was a mystery photo of a elegant looking Victorian villa type property. It was ruled out as being a Parsons home, so for a long time it was assumed to be some random house that they had visited.

Fast forward in time and I took another look in the album. I noticed that the same property featured in photos of an elderly couple. The elderly couple were a mystery, until after many hours of searching I found mention of a photo featured in a local newspaper of my 3x great grandparents golden wedding anniversary. I contacted Hastings library who kindly located a copy of the photo and suddenly this mystery was solved. The property was there home Hole Farm. As far as I am aware, this property no longer exists and I have not seen any other photographs of it.

So I am starting to think that the unidentified country house is perhaps a similar story. Maybe it was one of many country houses that were destroyed in the 1910s-1960s era? There must be a large number of such houses that have entirely vanished from living memory and photographic memory. But the clues are the crest, a potential building date of 1849 and initials F.C.(P?) , and a connection to thatched roof house in the Rye area called Woodcote.

The potential Hastings area connection is very interesting. As already mentioned, I am descended from the Parsons family. Very interestingly, in the album that I have from the Parsons family (covering 1890s-1930s), there are numerous beach trip photographs and also trips to the Isle of Wight. The albums contents are very similar.

So common sense might dictate that this album is from the Parsons family of that era. However, this is where problems come up with this potential connection. I can find nobody in the Parsons family from that era who resided in a country house. Also nobody in this album appears to be in the Parsons family album.

I am sure if/when this house is identified I shall be kicking myself like with Hole Farm  :)

Offline jamie300

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 07 January 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
So I am starting to think that the unidentified country house is perhaps a similar story. Maybe it was one of many country houses that were destroyed in the 1910s-1960s era? There must be a large number of such houses that have entirely vanished from living memory and photographic memory. But the clues are the crest, a potential building date of 1849 and initials F.C.(P?) , and a connection to thatched roof house in the Rye area called Woodcote.

Yes i think it's no longer in existence.

I've searched for listed properties to which something of significance was done in 1849 and not found a match.

I've already been through most of these lost houses in southern England but it might be worth contacting the site's owner with a picture: http://www.lostheritage.org.uk/lh_complete_list.html

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 07 January 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Gledhow Hall has similar architecture but it's in Leeds:

Scroll down for fuller picture of the property but looks like the rear aspect.

https://houseandheritage.org/2016/09/05/gledhow-hall/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 07 January 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

That is very close in style Carol but not wide enough. Needs another 2 windows between the end bays. No external blinds on windows either.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 07 January 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I have sent an email to the Lost Heritage website to see if they can help.

I have considered the possibility that the woman might have married into my family and grown up or lived at the house pre-marriage. That might explain why the images of the house appear at the start of the album, and why servants etc were all rounded up for the photographs.

Curiously the house is not seen again throughout the album.