Author Topic: Help to Decipher Memorial Stone Please?  (Read 951 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help to Decipher Memorial Stone Please?
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Have just stumbled across this memorial stone to members of my North family, unfortunately I am struggling to read it clearly! ::) Is anyone able to make out what it says please?

Memorial here: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3006661

The memorial is in St Mary the Virgin Church in Vernham Dean, Hampshire.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to Decipher Memorial Stone Please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you write to the church and ask them if they can give you a transcript of what the words are on the stone?

http://www.vernhamdean.com/contacts/

Click on the envelope and you will be able to send them an email.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Girl Guide,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated. That is a very good idea & thanks for the link also, much appreciated.

I have  been able to read the vast majority of it (after staring at the picture, (which I zoomed in on) for a couple of hours! ;D)) It seems to read as follows:

In Memory of
DANIEL NORTH
Who died ? ? ?16
Aged ? Years
Also of MARGARET his Wife
Who died April ? 1696
Aged 39 years
DANIEL NORTH ? ?
Who died Nov ? 1752
Aged 68? Years
And of
Elizth his wife
Who died April ? 1769?
Aged 80 Years
Also of JOHN NORTH
Who died Feb ? 17?8 ? ? ? Years
In Memory of HANNAH Wife of
WILLIAM G?
Died Dec ? 1799 Aged ? Years

The couples in question were my 9x gt grandparents Daniel & Margaret North (nee' Mason) & their son Daniel North & his wife Elizabeth (Nee' possibly Buttermy) my 8 x gt grandparents, also Daniel & Elizabeth's son John & daughter Hannah.

From my records, Margaret North (Nee' Mason) was buried on 22nd April 1696 (in red) & Daniel jnr was born in 1684, so if his age at death was 68, then that would give a year of death as 1752 (in purple).

What do rootschatters think?

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In Memory of
DANIEL NORTH
Who died ? ? ?16
Aged ? Years
Also of MARGARET his Wife
Who died April ? 1696
Aged 39 years
DANIEL NORTH ? ?
Who died Nov ? 1752
Aged 68? Years
And of
Elizth his wife
Who died April ? 1769?
Aged 80 Years
Also of JOHN NORTH
Who died Feb ? 17?8 ? ? ? Years
In Memory of HANNAH Wife of
WILLIAM GEATER
Died Dec ? 1799 Aged ? Years

Just located a marriage on FreeReg for a Hannah North to a William Geater on 30th Nov 1757 at Vernham Dean. Therefore it would suggest that William's surname was Geater (in blue). Is Hannah's age at death 78? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?! ;D

Kind regards

David

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Looks like 1752 to me, David. One anomaly, though: familysearch has Daniel jnr christened 6 Jan 1683, making his birth probably late 1682. (Looks like the right Daniel's christening, at Vernham St, with father Daniel.)
The only other thing I can see is Daniel snr's death month looks like August.
I tried to make the image clearer but could no better than your posted version.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Many thanks indeed for your reply, very much appreciated.

As regards, Daniel jnr's birth date I have 6th Jan 1684, so I obviously need to double check that! ;D

Having taken another look, I would agree with Daniel Snr's month of death being August, so many thanks for that!

Kind regards

David

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,   Your post is of interest as my ancestors were also from Vernham Dean.  Cannot add
                 further to the transcription but did notice that in the photo of the memorial the mortar
                 surrounding it seems to be fresh  (and not cleaned off the surrounding bricks). Went
                 online and found that the West wall of the church was restored and stabilized between
                 2004-2006.  Perhaps the memorial to your ancestors was removed at that time and
                 relocated elsewhere in the church.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

Many thanks for the info re 2004-06 restoration/stabilizing works, very interesting. You could very well be right as regards movement of the memorial.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
John North   

Burial Date     14 Feb 1784   
 Burial Place     Vernham-Dean, Hampshire, England   

FamilySearch

https://www.familysearch.org/search/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajohn~%20%2Bsurname%3Anorth~%20%2Bdeath_place%3AHampshire~

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth