Author Topic: Errors in trees - letting off steam!  (Read 7163 times)

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Errors in trees - letting off steam!
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 22 February 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
where does one find such "online trees" aside from the user ones on Ancestry?

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 February 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Many of the large online genealogy providers carry online family trees Ancestry, Findmypast, MyHeritage and the LDS (familysearch) in addition there are/were hundreds possibly the best/most accurate independant trees on Rootsweb but that is at present down with no set timetable when the sites will be up again.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 February 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly I contacted a tree owner on Ancestry recently regarding an error he had made. His ancestor & mine shared a name, time of birth and similar location. He had given his ancestor my ancestors' parents. I pointed out the error politely and he messaged back within a few hours, thanking me & informing me he had now found the correct parents for the woman in question.
I have also contacted various cousins etc with queries, offers to share information, photos etc. No response at all!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline juliebeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Ive been contacted by someone (whose tree appears to be private) asking questions about seemingly random folks in my tree asking if I have further information.  However they wont tell me who they are and where they sit in 'my' tree.        ???   Needless to say Im now ignoring them

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
When I had my tree on GR many moons ago, I once had someone ask me, "If I would give them all the information I had, because they couldn't be bothered to do the legwork".

It makes you wonder about the people who ignore you, when you politely ask for proof etc, what they are like away from the computer ;D  Sorry, not a dig at you Julie or any others :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juliebeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 22 February 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Not at all Kiwihalfpint.   Very happy to share info usually but this was a bit creepy  :o

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 February 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Ive been contacted by someone (whose tree appears to be private) asking questions about seemingly random folks in my tree asking if I have further information.  However they wont tell me who they are and where they sit in 'my' tree.        ???   Needless to say Im now ignoring them

which part of the UK are you from? this sounds familiar

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 February 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
On the other hand, I contacted someone on Ancestry who had a private tree as she had information about the family of my 3 x g.grandmother and she kindly opened her tree for me.  I asked her how long the tree would be open for and she said she thought it was open permanently once she'd let me view it.  She was right and,not only that, but every time she makes an addition to her tree I get an email from Ancestry advising me about an update to "your tree".

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 23 February 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
There has been times where I have made a mistake and had to ditch a twig or branch of my tree and review the evidence. If I do find I am wrong I swiftly remove the wrong people/dates etc. And if I do get a message telling me "he actually married so and so" then I shall accept it.

But trees which have someone born in Suffolk in 1700 to parents who never seemed to leave Wiltshire is just sloppy research.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain