Author Topic: Errors in trees - letting off steam!  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Errors in trees - letting off steam!
« Reply #45 on: Friday 23 February 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I sometimes want to shout.. GET OFF MY NAN

is that insanity :)   the other day I found at least 5 or 6 trees with my wonderful nans face smiling out at me..

I checked them all out and they are ALL rellies of one shape or another.. so they do have a right to a pic of MY NAN  - but oooo she is my Nan ... I am so possessive of her, its ridiculous.   

but she was so special xx 

this is an early Roots play with some pics.. :) 

Xin

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 23 February 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
LizzieW, this is because when you invite others to view your tree on Ancestry you can deem them either a Guest, Contributor or Editor.  I think guests can just view but contributors or editors share the tree with you and can make changes.  I think in error, she has invited you as either a contributor or editor so it is thought that you need to know exactly what changes are being made to a tree in which you have a hands on role.

You'll never stop getting these updates unless you ask her to change your status which can be done in Settings.

However, just to confirm that even though a tree you are invited to view as a guest appears to you like a public tree, it is still private to all those other ancestry users/browsers who have not been invited - so it doesn't really become public/open.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 23 February 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
She's invited me as a Guest, I've just checked.  I don't want to alter her tree in any way, I just wanted to see what info she had on my 3 x g.grandmother and her parents etc.

I'm quite happy to get the updates as there might be something of interest to me amongst them.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 24 February 18 03:55 GMT (UK) »
I sometimes want to shout.. GET OFF MY NAN

is that insanity :)   the other day I found at least 5 or 6 trees with my wonderful nans face smiling out at me..

I checked them all out and they are ALL rellies of one shape or another.. so they do have a right to a pic of MY NAN  - but oooo she is my Nan ... I am so possessive of her, its ridiculous.   

but she was so special xx 

this is an early Roots play with some pics.. :) 

Xin

I have been ordered to stop researching my 3x grt grandparents by another of their 3x grt granddaughters because they are hers. I haven't stopped, I got the info myself from NRH and have no photos, would loved to have compared notes with a rellie but I don't think she approves of me.  This couple had 6 children reaching adulthood btw, not sure how many 3 and 4x grt grandchildren they have but potential for quite a few.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi PharmaT

Ignore her!   You're a direct descendant so they're as much "yours" as they are "hers".   What a pity that you might possibly have been able to help one another with the research.

I have only put the bare bones of my tree on-line and that was in the hope that it would help after I took a DNA test.   Sadly most of the people I've contacted haven't bothered to reply, but that's another story...   

My personal tree at home has hundreds of off-shoots full of brothers and sisters and their descendants.    I'm really interested in what became of other family members but those aren't "my" people so I choose not to make that information public.   It does occasionally help fill in information from further back.

Good luck and don't let one mean-spirited person put you off!

Diana
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
When I had my tree on GR many moons ago, I once had someone ask me, "If I would give them all the information I had, because they couldn't be bothered to do the legwork".

Reply: 'Tough.  I can't be bothered to do the fingerwork.'

Or ask if they'd like you to come to their workplace and do their paid job for them as well (assuming they could be bothered to have one)  ::)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Quote from:  [b
I have been ordered to stop researching my 3x grt grandparents by another of their 3x grt granddaughters because they are hers. I haven't stopped ............

I would order you to carry on regardless, but there's obviously no need ;D
Watch out though, she might get the Tree Police to come and deal with your 'theft' of 'her' ancestors  :o ::) ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
It is dreadful - that anyone should 'order' another person not to research the tree of a close rellie.

Ridiculous -

I am just overly possessive - as these people  filled in for Divorced parents  -   and I am the last remaining 'blood' Granddaughter - they do have a couple of Grandsons who are not going to carry on the blood line..  (so I have been told ???)
So basically its me and mine that are left ... with an actual direct DNA connection to these wonderful people.... xx

Of course My Nan was one of many siblings so there are oodles of lovely close cousins.. that I care about..

Off to feed the cat :) (he is nagging at my feet as I type     ??? ???)

xin

reading this back - you can tell how possessive I am... thats naughty..  I know.. oh dear...

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 24 February 18 15:25 GMT (UK) »
   I have done quite a lot of "sideways" research on descendants of my 3xgreat grandparents. I have not brought it much further forward than 1911, but I do occasionally wonder about the ethics of it. Possibly even more so with local history research - I was tracking a family recently and realised I was poking around in the ancestry of someone I knew. Whereupon I stopped! It feels OK in the 1800s but not more recently.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire