Author Topic: Seeking Hartley & Watkins in the Cape  (Read 3571 times)

Offline el_watty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seeking Hartley & Watkins in the Cape
« on: Friday 05 August 05 00:11 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Ellen Elizabeth HARTLEY, born approx 1838 in 'Cape of Good Hope' (according to the 1881 UK Census).  The 1871 UK Census shows her place of birth as 'South Africa' but the words 'British Subject' were added by the ennumerator.

She married William James Watkins, born January 1828 in Devon, England, who was posted to South Africa with the 85th Light Infantry and who held the rank of Bugle Major. 

Their first son, William, was born in approx 1857. 

Their second son, Edwin, was born in December 1860 - I have found a record of his baptism in January 1861 on a UK Military Births register.

Their third son was born in England in 1866, so they must have moved back when William's posting ended.

I'm keen to know whether Ellen's family were there for missionary or military reasons and any other data that will take this line in my research further back.  I'm hoping to find:-

- a birth record for Ellen;
- a marriage record for her and William Watkins;
- the birth of their son William;
- any other evidence that allows me to trace where her parents originated from.

A tall order, but any help and information gladly received!

Lisa

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Hartley & Watkins in the Cape
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

The following might shed some light on your Ellen.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Extracts from the Grahamstown Journal 1838
transcribed by Sue Mackay

Baptisms celebrated by the Rev.W.SHAW and other Wesleyan missionaries in the
district of Albany
May 27 Elinor Elizabeth, daughter of John and Martha HARTLEY
~~~~~~~~~~~

John HARTLEY was born in 1804 and baptised in Mansfield, Nottingham, England.  He was the son of 1820 settler immigrants to South Africa : Thomas HARTLEY and Hannah HOPKINS.

John married Martha SPENCER 31 March 1839 in Bathurst, Cape Colony and had at least 4 children, including Elinor Elizabeth, who was apparantly born on the 19 April 1838.

John HARTLEY died in Grahamstown on the 24 Feb 1854.

Quite alot of HARTLEY family information is available on the website :
www.1820settlers.com

You might also want to join up to a mailing list on rootsweb under South Africa, British Immigrants - there are a couple of other list members who are also researching the HARTLEY and associated families.

best wishes
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus